mxrider76

May 12, 2006
Which is a more modern thumper a xr or a klx. I need one either a 250 or 300. They both seem like good trail bikes but I need something to keep up on a track with friends. If anybody owns one of these how do u like it? I think a xr 250 is aircooled but what about the klx? which has better power,suspension,steering,topend,lowend, etc..? and what about aftermarket parts?

Hurricane19

Mar 24, 2005
To be honest neither of those bikes are going to perform well on a motox track. My personal choice would be the xr250 as these bikes have a reputation for being bullet proof and there will be much more available for it from the aftermarket companies, and you can probably find any part you need on ****. I would say power - equal, suspension - close with nod going to klx, motor - xr much simpiler tried and trued air cooled design. You will much more in the way of aftermarket support, check out xr'sonly or thumper racing, they will have everything you could want for an xr.
Really you should look into a kdx200 or ktm200 if you want a bike that do a little bit of everything.

Jun 5, 2006
my friend has a klx300, and personally i wasn't too impressed. it's water cooled, while the xr is air, it doesn't seem to make much of a difference. I've ridden a crf230f, which is comparable to the xr, and i liked it more than the klx. the klx had a bit more power, but it was also heavier, sucked on jumps, and of course there is more maintence involved with a klx vs. a crf or xr.

mxrider76

May 12, 2006
Ya Im just looking to get a fourstroke for around 1,500 and a crf or kdx is no where near that price.Im thinking a xr 250.....my xr 80 right now is to small but it has done its job.....

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
I'd go with the XR250. I rode a '96 for 2 years and it did what I asked of it. It's no MX bike, but I rode it on the MX track (vintage type) anyway and just pretended I was riding a rough trail (and some trails I've ridden were rougher). Put stiffer fork springs in it, if it doesn't already have them.

The KLX's I've experienced have had troubles.

I'll tell ya what, though...when I got my KDX, I thought "Now THIS is what I wanted the XR to be!" Lighter, more powerful, better suspension, more fun... Last year I rode with a buddy on an XR250 and we swapped bikes every so often. No way would I take the XR over the KDX again. No way. You can _easily_ find one for < $1500 (in fact, cough, cough, I might even know of one!) and they're very, very reliable bikes. When I ride my KX, I usually take the KDX along and use it to warm up on and it does okay on the MX track. Better than the XR, that's for sure.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
I'd venture to say that the KLX is more modern, Honda has stopped using the XR moniker, they are all CRF's now. Ok, back to the real discussion.

mxrider76

May 12, 2006
do kdx's top end wear fast like a kx or cr? because im getting a fourstroke to avoid doing topends all the time.

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
No, the KDX is in a more mild state of tune so it doesn't wear out parts as fast.

However, a two-stroke MX bike that is primarily trail-ridden will go pretty long between rebuilds; certainly much farther than one that is raced. You're not running the bike nearly as hard on trails as you can on an open MX track. As a result, rebuild intervals will be much longer than if you race MX all the time.

Another thing to consider is that neither an XR nor a KLX will do well on a motocross track. These are playbikes and weren't designed for that kind of abuse. Now I'm sure someone will chime in about how great their XR or KLX is on the MX track, but the bottom line is that it wasn't designed for it you'll definitely shorten it's life with such abuse. And no matter what it certainly won't keep up with an MX bike of any sort on a track. While a KDX isn't the best choice for track work either, it will definitely do it better than either of the other two.

Jun 5, 2006
mtk said:
Another thing to consider is that neither an XR nor a KLX will do well on a motocross track. These are playbikes and weren't designed for that kind of abuse. Now I'm sure someone will chime in about how great their XR or KLX is on the MX track, but the bottom line is that it wasn't designed for it you'll definitely shorten it's life with such abuse. And no matter what it certainly won't keep up with an MX bike of any sort on a track. While a KDX isn't the best choice for track work either, it will definitely do it better than either of the other two.

Well, it's not like he's going to be racing, and no matter what an xr is less hassle and less maintence than a kdx. However, the kdx is pretty awesome, i've ridden a 220 and it definitely is a lot faster than a crf230f. However, there's not going to much difference with an xr's suspension vs. a kdx's. Basically the kdx excellerates faster and has a higher top speed, but you have to mix gas and such. I wouldn't consider teh klx. From my experience it seems to be a strict trail bike machine, it wouldn't perform as well as the xr or kdx on the track. So i'd say the new question is: xr or kdx?

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
Yeah, an XR is less maintenance than a KDX. One needs rebuilt every two decades and the other every decade. Big deal.

If mixing gas is an issue, then you need to find another hobby because things like lubing chains and cleaning air filters will probably kill you.

mxrider76

May 12, 2006
no mixing gas is not the issue my dad has had a lot of 2strokes and he dosent want to do any topend rebuilds every year. My neibors,uncles,and alot of people I know have 2 strokes and they are constantly working on them(rebuilds,tuning,jetting etc.) and I am a freak on doing maintnace. It is easy to do something simple now then something big later.

Jun 5, 2006
if you're not worried about the little stuff, then i'd say you'd probably be happiest with a kdx. Just make sure you buy one that is in fairly good condition (the engine) as that way it should be a while until u have to do a top end.

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
I'll go one further: don't worry about doing a top end at all. Two-strokes are extremely simple and a top end job can be done in a few hours on one of them, even by a novice mechanic.

Ryan12833

Mar 4, 2006
im just doing a top end on my 2001 kdx220 right now. First time in 5 years and it didnt even need a top end. So yes... the top end on a kdx will last a while.

mxrider76

May 12, 2006
I think a 400 is to big for me....

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
mxrider76 said:
do kdx's top end wear fast like a kx or cr? because im getting a fourstroke to avoid doing topends all the time.

No. I do my top-end every other year and it's been WELL within specs each time (3rd piston/rings right now). And I ride it quite a bit.

It takes me about 3-4 hours total for the job- that's new piston/rings, clean the powervalve ass'bly, clean everything else, clean, clean. I spend probably 1/2 that time cleaning.

DoubleTrouble

May 26, 2000
Kdx200/220

The KDX 200/220 is the answer. I watched them race at dirtweek and they were very competitive on the MX track - Is definitely the bike to have on an enduro track!

I had an XR200 and my wife rides a CRF230. The Honda's are great trail bikes but that's about all. After the KDX I wouldn't go back.

They are bullet-proof and do not require a lot of maintenance - Actually, for me, the XR seemed more work.

Top Bottom