gooby

Nov 8, 2001
not sure about otd now but i searched for a new yr old model .bought my 99 in 00 as a new left over and saved some money. the klx hasn't changed since they became a 300 yet.just a thought

MCassle

Apr 29, 2001
I agree with gooby, if your set on buying a bike that hasn't changed since it's intro as a 300cc version in 1997, then buy one that is a year old or older (that is in good shape, of course). This'll save you alot of money. Unless you just have to have a brand new bike, in which case I'd get something that is new, like the WR250F.

Matt

One Dollar

Mar 15, 2001
Depending on location OTD could vary greatly, MSP is $4600.
KLX or WR debate is not valid without specifics like what type of riding, rider hight & weight etc. But a one year old KLX with the normal power mods can be better than a WR250 in the tight technical woods and would be cheaper. A used KLX (2001) could be found between $2500 & $4000 depending on mods & location. Suspension is superior on the stock WR but both would have to be tuned to the rider anyways once you ride faster. A WR would be better in a more track like condition or faster trails.

armyboot

Apr 5, 2000
I dont' really need a WR250, it just doesn't suit my riding style.

I'll be trail riding with my buddy who has a Wolverine. My other friend has a KX 125. We live in AZ, so we just go into the desert and trail ride, and eventually go all out.

The MSRP on a WR is 5699, and msrp on a KLX is 4699.

From what i've read, the KLX would be perfect for the riding I plan on doing. And if I need more power down the road, I can get a pumper carb and do those free mods and a pipe or something.

I'm 6'0 165 lbs. And a novice rider. I would try to pick up a left over from last year. Its tough to find a used KLX here.

armyboot

Apr 5, 2000
I found 2, one is 4500 bucks, the other is 3500. Now, if I could get one new for 4000ish, wouldn't that be the better way to go?

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
Depends on whether the used ones have any mods and if you want those mods or not. The Stoker headpipe and a Mikuni 33mm pumper carb should have been stock on the KLX IMHO.

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Keep shopping, army. Expand your search to neighboring states. If you search Cycle Trader every day, you might get lucky and find the perfect bike at the right price.

I've bought three bikes recently from different states, and scored big on all of them.

I drove to Greenville, SC last September and bought an '01 YZ250F for $4500. The previous day, I had decided that I was doomed to pay $6200 for the only new one I found in the Southeast. The bike was basically brand new, and the 8 hour round trip was worth the $1700 savings.

Last year I found a '97 XR250R (for a friend) with aluminum bars, new tires, new graphics, and barkbusters in FL for $2400. (Sold it 3 months ago for $2700)

Soon after that I found another XR250R (a '96 for another friend) for $2000. The deals are out there. You have to keep both eyes peeled and be ready to make a move immediately though.

armyboot

Apr 5, 2000
Alrighty, I'll keep my eyes out for a good deal on this bike. I'm not going to have the money for @ least a month though.

Quick question, when looking @ used bikes, what should I pay close attention to?

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Look for a bike that is clean. I'm talkin' spotless. If the bike has clean, shiny rims and hubs, it probably hasn't been ridden too hard. Look for scratches in the plastic, decals, engine cases, and frame sides too. If the original tires are still on the bike and still have nice knobs (heh), then the bike can't be hurt too badly. The ideal used bike is one that belongs to someone who just got laid off (my 250F came from a guy like that) or belongs to someone who lost interest after his buds convinced him to buy a new bike. A lot of people ride a bike once or twice and then sell it at a huge loss. That's the guy you're looking for.

Injury sales can pay off big, too. I hate that one, but capitalizing on people's misfortune is the American way.

toolfan

Sponsoring Member
Mar 19, 2002
I gave 4200 for my 2002 this week. If i could have found a 2000 ish with the pumper carb and new pipe i'd go that way. I love low to mid range torque and the klx slacks in this area.

AZDesertRat

Apr 18, 2002
Change to an adjustable needle, 3rd groove down from the top, a #132 main jet, cut 3 turns off the diaphragm spring,drill out the cap over the fuel mixture screw and turn it out 1-1/2 turns and finally remove the butt plug. Absolutely no comparison to stock. Gets rid of the hesitation off the bottom and gives it tons more mid and top.

yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
"Valley Kawasaki in Phoenix $5000 OTD and $190 if you want it street legal"
I'd just buy the street legal version, save 4810 bucks and then change it back to dirt.

AZDesertRat

Apr 18, 2002
Why didn't I think of that??? But seriously they did a good job with the conversion. I thought the extra $190 sounded like a lot when other shops quoted $100 to do a TTR or XR. They used a hydraulic brake switch rather than a mechanical one with a spring, a really good metal mirror with a split perch mount which swivels down out of the way and an electric horn rather than a squeeze bulb toy. They also installed an Acerbis rear license plate mount with a seperate brake/tail lightand a clear license plate light. The other shops just drill holes in the fender and do not have a license plate light which the cops around here will write you up for. Now if I just had electric start!

Lost

Nov 12, 2000
Originally posted by yzeater
"Valley Kawasaki in Phoenix $5000 OTD and $190 if you want it street legal"
I'd just buy the street legal version, save 4810 bucks and then change it back to dirt.

LOL, yea for $190 i might by 5 or 6!! :aj:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom