smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
hello all,
working on a '94 KLX, all stock suspension as far as I know. I took loose the caps on the forks to add some oil and noticed that the previous owner had installed PVC spacers and they're now crushed. Am I correct in assuming that they installed the spacers to increase the preload in the forks? Anyone know what a good oil level is for these forks? (I prefer mine a bit stiffer). Also, compression on the rear shock is cranked all the way in (spare one notch) and it's still too soft, what could be the fault here? Possible solutions? Thanks much in advance.

Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Jan 28, 2000
SMB,
Your going to need to rebuild those babies! The crude has made its way into every corner by now. The 94 had the 41mm KYB's if I reacll you could go with something in the 100mm range. As for the shock, sounds like we could use a rebuild on that as well. Piston band and o-ring as likely canidates.

BR,
Jer

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
Jeremy,
thanks for the info, so was I correct in assuming that the spacers in the forks were to increase preload? I'm going riding next weekend for the last time this season and need to get a quick and dirty throw together before I tear it all down for the winter. Who would you recommend for the shock rebuild, I'd like to have it all sprung for my weight, 155 with gear and a slow B rider if that. Any thoughts on different pullrods to raise the rear up a touch? Thanks again.

Eric82930

~SPONSOR~
Oct 26, 2001
The stock fork shouldn't need any spacers. The KLX is very low to the ground so it was probably someones attempt to raise the bike a bit. Make sure the back has not been raised. There would be an aftermarket name on the pull rods if it was (Stroker,Devol etc) If the back has not been raised then you don't need the preload spacers. It will also corner better without them.

100 mm is the stock oil level but to fight botteming I always ran 70mm. It seems high but it works. I never blew a seal. The stock springs that year were rediculously soft so you can only expect so much.

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
the back has stock pull rods, the previous ones broke on the owner before me (the owner before him had them cut and rewelded to raise the rear, I'm guessing he did the spacers too). Thanks for the info, I can now reassemble the forks :)

KTM-Lew

Jan 26, 2002
smb....check the for sale forum....If you can you should pick-up the shock and linkage. Then watch for a set of KX forks to go with it.

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
Thanks Lew, I was looking at those. JohnE and I were trying to do some dealing on the knee braces I did have. Why don't my paychecks go as far now as they did when I was 16 :confused:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom