KLX vs KDX Performance wise

kfxpro

May 17, 2004
Kawasaki themselves have referred to the KLX 300 as the 4 stroke version of the KDX 200. Price wise and weight wise the KDX has the clear advantage but what about performance wise? Is this a fair comparison? It just seems that you hear so much more aobut the KDX than its 4 stroke brother.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Apples vs. Oranges

Two very different bikes. The KLX is really a play bike...and not to much fun to play with at that. The KDX is anything from a (fun) play bike to a woods assault machine. It can even be ridden on a track. But if track riding is your thing....think KX, not KDX.

Through their marketing Team Green may want you to believe that the KLX is a four stroke KDX....but it's not...and they know it.

If you want to play with the fat kid in sand box...get a KLX. If you want to run with with some fast company get a KDX.

bcVulcan

Nov 13, 2002
rv6junkie said:
Apples vs. Oranges

If you want to play with the fat kid in sand box...get a KLX. If you want to run with with some fast company get a KDX.

That's a pretty good way to put it. :laugh:

kfxpro

May 17, 2004
Man, those are pretty harsh words for the KLX. I just like bikes, 2 strokes and 4 strokes. :cool: I'm not looking for anything that will tear my arms off, just a good trail bike. Even though I have mostly ridden 4 strokes I kind of am leaning toward the KDX as being the best value on the trial.

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
I didn't think those words were harsh at all. Just truth. KLX is slow on the draw, weighs more and is harder to start. (Better?) A KDX is not something that will tear your arms off unless you modify it that way. In stock form it is a pretty dosile bike, but will definately out pull a KLX. A KDX is one of a few best trail bikes ever built. I don't think a KLX is due to the above mentioned reasons.

aintskeerd

Aug 19, 2004
I rode a KLX and my KDX back to back yesterday, both pretty much stock. The KLX is nice - handles well with a KDX type feel, but much more sedated.

The KDX is cheaper to mod (you will want to make some mods) as low $ changes seem to make big differences in performance.

Starting is probably another big issue. KLX is not hard to start for a 4 stroke, but is harder to start than KDX. When cold, KLX was about 7 kicks, KDX 2 kicks. KLX was easy to start warm, but I hear they are tough to start when dumped.

Throttle response is different - KDX is much faster, KLX much softer. This may not be a bad thing depending on your riding technique or preferences.

I liked the KLX, but was happy to get back on my KDX.

Best part about KDX is this site - so much information is already here, and plenty of people to answer questions.

Good luck - I am sure you would be happy with either one - most important thing is getting out and riding!

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
With a carb and a pipe, the KLX was pretty nice. It also needs the kickstart gear replaced to be reliable.

The KDX needs almost nothing. Sure, people hop them up, but the bike is totally ok in stock form.

I think the real question whould be "What is gained by going to the KLX?"

Personally, I would take the KDX and enjoy the extra grand in my poscket. It is one of the best motorcycles ever built. It will do anything and work for almost anyone. What is not to love about the bike?

Jason02R

Jul 6, 2004
Rcannon said:
Personally, I would take the KDX and enjoy the extra grand in my poscket. It is one of the best motorcycles ever built. It will do anything and work for almost anyone. What is not to love about the bike?

Boy isn't that the truth, I am loving my KDX. I have never ridden a better woods bike I am amazed with the bikes ability even in stock form.

flying W

Mar 30, 2002
The KLX has had some flaws from the factory. Shift kits and idler gear replacement are considered a must by some. The KLX can be made into a real sweet bike but that requires alot of $ and modifications. I don't know if Kawa has fixed these issues or not. I'm not aware of any KDX flaws.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
The only arguement you could make for the 700.00 is the front forks. These may be marginally better than the KDX.

Honestly, the factory should give you a credit for the street bike carb they supply on the KLX. Your actually better off using a straight piece of pvc pipe and dumping gas in the head.

The KLX is a dual sport bike in most of the other countries besided the US. It is a real shame that Kawasaki did not do the extra 10% to this bike to make it excellent. They could have.

I wish Kawasaki would make a special run KDX. I am thinking of something like the 2003 KX 125 chassis. Use last years and maybe the cost could stay low. Heck, even the 02 KX chassis would be sufficient. Use the 99 KX suspension. This suspension was excellent. Leave the engine as is. Sell the bike for 4500.00 or so.

I would fist fight anyone who beat me to the dealership to buy one.

I know guys have built their own hybrids, but by the time I sank 6k into a bike, I am finding it easier to tune a YZ 250 for trail use.

The dream KDX I am talking about would be much easier and probably better.

RoostRider

Uhhh...
Aug 24, 2004
Rcannon said:
Honestly, the factory should give you a credit for the street bike carb they supply on the KLX. Your actually better off using a straight piece of pvc pipe and dumping gas in the head.

you made a frenchfry try to come out my nose

:rotfl:
:rotfl:

RidinColorado

Aug 19, 2004
I recently picked up a brand new old stock '03 kdx 220, for $3700... My other alternative was any brand 400 4 stroke which was in the 5000 range. I never figured a KLX300 was even in the same ballpark as a KDX, because of the power to weight ratio. I figured a 400 would be about equal to a well tuned KDX. So because of the price and the nice people on this site, I decided to go with the KDX...

All I can say, is its a reaaly great bike.. Ive already started tinkering with it.. Theres a ton of mods I'd like to do both big and small.. I guess maybe if i found a 400 4 stroke in the same price range new, I might have went with it... What is nice about the nimble KDX is i can easilly toss it around the rocky very steep trails here in my area. It starts super easy, and the smell of a 2stroke brings back many great childhood memories! Looking back, I'm very glad I chose the KDX!

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
Rcannon said:

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

eddie20

May 26, 2003
I had a 2002 YZ250F and what a pain to start! Cold or hot, went back to a two stroke, KDX 200, bought two one for my son and myself, 1991 and 2002. I would not buy a four stroke with out the electric starter.

Top Bottom