KLX400R or XR650R

mossypad

Aug 1, 2009
Well Ive narrowed my choices down to two bikes the Kawasaki KLX400R (2003 or ?) and the Honda 650R(2003-2007 or ?) I will be getting one of them soon, but I need a little persuasion to help choose.

I will mostly be riding this bike on trails and through the woods. Once I am comfortable on a bike again I will be looking to make it street legal, mostly making a 30 minute commute to and from work once its on the road.

I am looking for something dependable as I want to be riding it and not fixing it. I keep good care of my stuff and am able to do most mechanical work myself. I am 6'1, 215 pounds....what do you suggest??

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
The XR is not street legal. So depending on your state's laws, you may not be able to liscense it for street use.

THe KLX same as the DRZ came in street legal versions. Plus for tight woods, it would be a better bike.

Joburble

Bring back the CR500
~SPONSOR~
Jul 20, 2009
XR650R would be a bit of a handfull in tight woods, however still a heck of a lot of fun. I owned an XR600R and rode it in tight woods and really enjoyed it but it was a handfull. On open trails and the road it "Rocked". If the 650 is anything like the 600 it will be a fabulous bike. It will even pull you 2-up with pack and paniers if you want to go touring, mine did.
Dry weight - 288lbs approx

I don't know about the KLX400 but if it is the same as a DRZ400 I hear they are great allround bikes.
Dry weight - 262lbs approx

Personally I'd go with the XR, your a big guy and should be able to throw that baby around just fine.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…