_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Custom eh? Make sure it has a clear title.

Plan on having the suspension and engine rebuilt with the money you have left over. That way you'll have a safe, reliable ride for a long time. Anything that isn't new is probly worn out on a 13 year old mx bike.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
It's also going to be much quicker than a drz or ttr. Definately a sharp learning curve for a beginner that may end up being expensive and or painful.

da_snacks

Apr 3, 2009
Yeah my friend was the #1 racer for south carolina under 13 division a few years ago I think. He got the bike customized by his sponsor. He said the topend was rebuilt after ever race but Im not much of a race expert. Will it be a good bike for trails? I have a few days to decide before I have to go see the drz. Would this be a better bike than the drz and lower price after rebuilding? I thought it might be a little since I know how the bike has been treated.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
I think your friend is telling you a story. I would bet the farm that the #1 racer in SC for the under 13 class a few years ago was definately not on a 1996 cr250.

da_snacks

Apr 3, 2009
Can someone answer the above questions? I mean I want it to have zing but I want it to have trail capabilities. My dad said the drz is better for that but I like to here experts :D

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
The cr is not designed as a trail bike. The transmission isn't geared like a trail bike and the power not nearly as smooth. The suspension is much stiffer. The cost of maintenance and repairs is substantially less with a trail bike.

CReighty

Uhhh...
Apr 4, 2009
The CR250 is made to be ridden aggressively. You really have to stay on the throttle otherwise you could end up fouling alot of plugs. If you are riding some wide open trails then it could work fine for you but the tight and slow trails wouldn't work too well with that bike.

02stampede

Jan 5, 2009
Your talking about a 2 stroke cr 250 right? No, thats probably one of the harder bikes to ride on the trails with. My yz 250 gives me a workout for sure, but Im partial to the 2t and love the power. Your either on it or flat on your face. There isnt a whole lot of in between..

da_snacks

Apr 3, 2009
I rode the drz and quickly found out it was way to much bike then needed. Also it was very very very heavy with the electrical start. I am very happy to say I am the proud owner of a honda 1990 honda 200r. FOR FREE! Kickstarts the 2 or 3 time without needed to run longer than 30 seconds. My dads friend lets me keep the bike at my house and use it, and if it needs any repairs he fixes them. I know the bike is old but it is almost the perfect seat height and I can whip it around the trails fairly easy. The power is low but I only notice it when I am on wide open trails. Great bike :D

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Good deal! The XRs are rock solid bikes. It will make a great learner bike for you and will allow you to save up so you can buy a nicer bike when you're ready to move on.

I would suggest you spend a little time maintaining it even though it's not yours and the owner will repair anything that breaks. It will give you some experience turning a wrench and caring for a dirt bike. I would go out and spend some YOUR money on a can of chain lube, some air filter oil and some engine oil. I would at least want to take care of the bike I was being allowed to borrow.

BARON89

Apr 16, 2009
What ever you do i would go with a honda they're very reliable. Also A friend of mine rides a 230 and he loves you can not only have fun on the tracks every now and then but also have lots of fun on trails. Good luck and happy buying

Top Bottom