da_snacks

Apr 3, 2009
What Bike for a 15 year old?Need help quick!

I am 6 ft 1 165 pounds.
I have ridden dirtbikes on a few occasions. I need mostly a trail bike, but it couldnt hurt to be able to taken to the track every now and again. Budget is 2500. I DO NOT WANT TO BE CRAMPED UP riding a smaller dirtbike. I have looked at a 2006 Yamaha TTR-230, would this be a good bike for me? (I need something with low maitenance costs, and good size for me_

Edit- Also looking at a 96 CR250R honda.

Honda is about 1400$, TTR is around 2000$
A 2000 Suzuki DRZ400 just came into play, also a 2007 honda crf-230.
As did a 2003 Yamaha yz250f.

Make reviews, recommendations!

Last edited:
May 10, 2007
mixed gas did you read his post at all. he wants something low maintenance. a CRF250R is not low at all. it is a high performance race machine. the ttr230 would be your best bet but after riding it a little you might notice that it doesnt have much power. the YZ250F is out because that is the same league as a CRF250R.

the CR250 might be a good option but again it is a race bike. the difference between it and the CRF250 is that it is a 2T so the maintenance isnt as expensive and is a little easier to do. (but will still have to be done.)

the DRZ could be a good option but i dont really know that much about them.

PS any bike that is a full sized bike SHOULD be big enough for you.

PPS also if your fill out the sticky thread at the top of this forum (the what bike) it will be easier to help us help you.

da_snacks

Apr 3, 2009
Try to include the following info in your first post
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
6 ft 1 165
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
Moderate, I like to push sometimes
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
Woods, fields, some mx
4) Do you have any riding experience?
4-5 times
5) Do you think you will race ?
No
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
Less maitenance
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
No
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
Yes, but I will not use them
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?
10) Do you live in California?
no
11) Your age?15
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion
I like it to have zip but plenty of control

CReighty

Uhhh...
Apr 4, 2009
A TTR230 is going to be small for you. I would consider a 125 2 stroke as it should fit your needs. Stay away from the 4 stroke racing models as they can be costly to keep up.

2strokesrock

Oct 7, 2008
Get an XR400 they are extreamly tough, vary low maintance and have pretty good power.

da_snacks

Apr 3, 2009
I think I am going to go with the Yamaha ttr then upgrade. I went to the dealer today and now have to decide to get it a new 09 model for 3000, or a used 06 model for 1800 :D

2strokesrock

Oct 7, 2008
get the used one..you will want to upgrade in a couple months anyway.

da_snacks

Apr 3, 2009
I did feel cramped because my legs are very long, but I think a new set of handlebars will help? See, the TTRs, and the Suzuki are my only real options. I tried the other 2 bikes and didnt like them. I eliminated the Suzuki because it is 9 years old. I just always fear buying used, can someone give me details to look for? I have zero experience buying used.

da_snacks

Apr 3, 2009
Edit* I could get the suzuki also, but from what I have heard electric start is much better, and the ttrs are easier to maintain with better technolodgy.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
The drz400 would make about the best long term sense for what you plan to do with it. The maintenance is low and it will fit you for as long as you like. The ttr230 is shorter and doesn't have as much suspension travel as the drz. Any used bike is a gamble though. It's worth it to try to see if the owner will let you take it to a shop to have it looked over.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Uhh, the kickstart works fine? Sure the magic button is nice, but no where near neccessary.

And what are you asking for a price on?

da_snacks

Apr 3, 2009
To replace a faulty kickstart. My dad told me the 400 could be a problem for me in the woods. The seat height is nice though, but I am unsure about handling that big a bike, instead of a 230.

2strokesrock

Oct 7, 2008
noooooo! it will not be a problem...a little practice and you will be just fine

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Chances are you'd never have a problem with the kick start. E-start adds more parts to break/wear out.

The 400 will be a bit heavier and taller which might make it a bit less friendly to learn on in the woods, but the suspension is better than the ttr and you won't get bored with the power as quickly.

I'm not trying to talk you out of the ttr, just making you aware that the drz shouldn't be ruled out as an option. Go look at the drz and sit on it. If you feel like it's too big go find a used 230 and ride that for a while. Confidence in your ability to handle the bike is good for learning how to ride.

da_snacks

Apr 3, 2009
Thanks very much. I am going to go sit on it in the next day or to and see how it feels! The bike only weighs 7 poun d smore but has a 140cc bigger engine?

da_snacks

Apr 3, 2009
Alright I just called the man selling the Suzuki. He said he was the 2nd owner and bought in 2001(model year 2000). He didn't know about the air filter, but said he changed the oil regulary and ran the bike no more than 10 times a year on trails. Im biting my nails on the fact that that is probly around 100 rides and i would get no warrenty. He said he is a mechanic and the bike runs perfectly. Talked him down to 1650 for it too. Will most likely go down Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday for a test run on the gears and take it to a shop. Does everything sound good to you guys?

2strokesrock

Oct 7, 2008
Sounds pretty good to me...1650$ is (in my opinion) a good price.

da_snacks

Apr 3, 2009
TTR just lowered price to around 1700. :D Dealer lowered to 2900. The choices are endless. :boss: Only concern is do I really need that much power in a bike. Everything else has been settled

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
If you have a 2500 dollar budget and can buy that drz for 1650 I would probly do it. You'd have money left over to fix anything that might not be right.

Top Bottom