rho

May 6, 2002
Has anyone been able to get a decent knee brace after a knee injury from your health provider. (DME = Durable Medical Equipment)

Don Joy, Asterisk, EVS Web, etc......

My medical plan gave me crutches with no problem just wondering about the braces..

Thanks,

Robert

BillyWho

Sir-Breaks-Alot
Mar 22, 2001
If you were injured, and it sounds like you were, most insurance companies will get you a brace with the docs perscription. Talk to your Doctor about it, and if he doesn't want to, find another one ;)

altagirl

~SPONSOR~
Mar 17, 2003
The key is that you have to get a prescription from your doctor. I had my knee scoped 6 weeks ago and my doctor prescribed a Donjoy Defiance. Insurance covered it completely, and so far it's working great. We did a 60 mile ride in Moab last Saturday and my knee felt great and the brace didn't bother me at all.

AnneBrooks

Jan 17, 2001
I was able to get 2 CTI2's after my knee surgery---by doc's prescription and the insurance company paid for both. They are great, but it did take some getting used to while riding.

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
The only way to find out for sure is to check your policy, or call the insurance company, as it differs from state to state. Also, some plans restrict DME coverage to a certain lifetime amount, or a much lower percentage paid, etc.

It is not uncommon (or at least it wasn't 4-5 years ago) for DME to be excluded from coverage, or only available as a rider, especially for HMO's in California (though that's pretty much been done away with). Even if it is covered reimbursement is often at a much lower percentage. Expect to pay upwards of 50%. In that case, you may opt for a set of Cells.

rho

May 6, 2002
Thanks to all who responded. I am going to the Dr today to go over the MRIs. If I need to get scoped I'll ask about the braces, actually I'll ask about the braces regardless.

I'll status you all if/when it happens... Damn this is a tough way to try to get good equipment!! :P

Top Bottom