Back in action! Which knee brace post-ACL recon?

YZErinn

Jun 2, 2002
I am finally (!!) cleared for sports and to get back on my trail-modified YZ125 after five LONG months in rehab post ACL reconstruction (patella graft) in my left knee (torn in a mountain bike race). I am now in the process of choosing a brace for this knee and contemplating a protective brace for the good knee.
I want the brace for the post-op knee to be effective, protective, and functional for the variety of sports I do, including dirt biking, wakeboarding, snowboarding, mtn biking, and surfing. My doc recommends the Donjoy Defiance, but it seems this brace company does not offer a knee armor option/accessory as the CTI brace does. I also just checked out the web site for a custom-molded brace by Townsend which also looks like a good option. I am wondering if anyone has experience with post-ACL recon bracing? Is the Asterisk at the same level with a Donjoy, CTI, or Townsend? Can the Asterisk translate comfortably to other sports?
Any help is mucho appreciated!
Erinn

CRboy167

Sponsoring Member
Jan 18, 2000
I have a CTI 2 and it is great. It is fit for only your leg! It also has adjustable stops and adjustable pad thickness. Best of all because it was Dr. perscribed insurance payed for it!!!!!

BUCKWHEAT

Nov 14, 1999
I have a CTi2 that I got 2 years ago after a right leg ACL tear. I am now 6 weeks post ACL repair. I used the CTi2 for the same things you like to do and it NEVER let me down. I got the surgery cause day to day non-braced activities were wearing on my damaged meniscus and the knee would lock up now and then as a result. Are your quads at full size yet? If not, you may want to have the brace maker compensate a little for the atrophy.

Peer Lovell

Nov 25, 1999
I'm in the market for knees braces and have just started looking. One of the things my Dr. told me was to make sure that you find a brace that is classified as a medical device, or your insurance plan won't cover it.
I don't think that Asterisk is classified; but rather a protective device.

Also, a lot of plans exclude braces that are "primarily designed for sports use", so you have to sue some cunning here!

BillyWho

Sir-Breaks-Alot
Mar 22, 2001
Your posts would be fine with me, as long as you would give your slant of " I'm a rep for DonJoy products over here in the UK" in your replies, instead of sounding like you have a non biased opinion to offer.

mark_england

Mar 6, 2002
actually im a rep for a company that does replacement knees and hips.
[as well as over bits and pieces]
we dont sell braces of any kind at all.

so ill try again

YZerinn

as you asked about a donjoy brace, and ive been running these braces for about 18months now, ill answer.
donjoy do a retrofit impact guard for the defiance and they also do a motocross specific brace called the armor.
(im surprised the moderators keep censoring and deleting this information, i always thought asterisk cell was a product that could stand up on its own merits|)

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by mark_england
(im surprised the moderators keep censoring and deleting this information, i always thought asterisk cell was a product that could stand up on its own merits|)

Asterisk certainly doesn't need MY help to sell it's products.

It's not censoring. :silly: Get a grip man. :silly:

I just get incredibly tired of your agenda getting floated up everytime the subject of braces gets brought up.

Tone it down and your posts won't get clipped. The post above is a perfect example. You presented your case in an honest and useful way, and it will stand as is.

It's really not that complicated.

BTW, if you think you are going to try and guilt us into not editing agenda laden rants (yours or anyone elses) you are sorely mistaken. ;)

mark_england

Mar 6, 2002
the above is pretty much exactly the same as the posts that where deleted.
i have no agenda at all, i have a little understanding of braces cus of the injuries i see every day in surgery.
the guy asked a question , i just gave him the facts without adding any opinion at all.
(allthough im not sure why an oppinion on a product is such a bad thing)
But as the reply stayed i guess the issue is probably closed.

Mully

Moderator / SuperPowers
Jun 9, 1999
Originally posted by mark_england
actually im a rep for a company that does replacement knees and hips.
[as well as over bits and pieces]
|)

Really ?? I work for an orthopedic implant company also. Which one do you work for ??????

Mully

mark_england

Mar 6, 2002
Originally posted by Mully

Really ?? I work for an orthopedic implant company also. Which one do you work for ??????

Mully

if i give you some of our brand names, im sure you will know the company without me shouting there name about

"simplex"
"Scorpio"
"Exeter"
"kinemax"
"trident"

so who do you work for?

Mully

Moderator / SuperPowers
Jun 9, 1999
Stryker.

So as a rep what exactly are your job requirements.

Mully

btw: Zimmer

mark_england

Mar 6, 2002
Well small world huh.

(i almost took a a job with zimmer last year.)

Originally posted by Mully
Stryker.

So as a rep what exactly are your job requirements.

Mully

btw: Zimmer

Although its a little off topic
Working for zimmer i guess you understand fully the role and job requirements of a rep.
However im sure your asking to understand the differences of the job comparing UK to USA and Zimmer to Stryker,,,,,
as opposed to an underlying "agenda" of maybe trying to get me to prove my employment,,,(im sure you wouldnt be that childish)

and ill try to be concise...
my role is to sell implants,,, however this is often based on relationships which take a long time to build.
So a lot of my time is spent in theatre, ensuring the scrub nurse and surgeon are comfortable handling the instuments, such as
Acetabular reamers
Proximal femoral reamers
head and stem trials etc
although to be fair primary hips are pretty simple, revision hips are however more complex. [and to be fair, more interesting, not to mention profitable]
this will often include the use of acetabular mesh and impaction grafting as well as maybe bone struts.

Knee instrumentation will often require more attention from the rep, certainly until the surgeon and scrub nurse are familier with them.
An understanding of the particular surgeons technique is needed.
does he do his distal femoral cuts , or his proximal tibial cut first?.
With his femoral cuts does he reference posterially or anterially?
If he references Anterially he admitidly lessens the risk of notching however to an extent he is leaving his flexion gap a little to chance.
will he use cutting blocks or ceramic lined slots.
Ofcourse as you know we cant scrub up or touch any of the instruments used so often the skill is in directing the scrub nurse to which is the next bit of kit needed [ie which trial stem , femoral componant or tibial trial insert ]
Thanks God for lazer pointers huh.
Of course i do try and find time to work on Next Gen knee accounts [as a matter of principle]
I dont know whether its the same in the U,S as here, where by hospitals book loan instruments [at a fee ofcourse] or whether each hospital buys there own kit, or indeed is given them on consignment?,
Hmmmmmmm so what else is there that i can tell you about the exact job requirements of an orthopaedic implants rep ,that you wouldnt allready know.
Hmmmm well i spose i could tell you that my roll is in recon,,, not spinal ,truama or leibinger.

Anything else you wanna know, just ask.

i spose in an attempt to bring it slightly back onto topic i could say there seems to be a general trend away from orthopods recomending ligament bracing over here.

endomatic

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2001
I tore my mcl last year and my insurace covered the brace. I went with the donjoy armour.So far so good. First two rides no problems no pinching or migration. I had never worn a brace before and was worried about comfort and the size. After five minutes i forgot i had it on. And it fit in my tech 6s fine and i have large calves. I am very happy with mine.

Endomatic :)

AnneBrooks

Jan 17, 2001
I have a pair of CTI2's that I got after my knee surgery. They work great, but did take some getting used to while riding. I use the left one for other sports as well (rollerblading, tennis, etc). And the best part is my insurance paid for both.

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
I used the Donjoy knee (insurance purchased it) brace for about one year after tearing my ACL. It performed its function well, but once my leg strength was back to normal, I quit using the brace. I still have it, but havent put it on in over two years. I do believe that it was beneficial during the "recovery period," but dont feel the need (or desire) to wear it now. I can appreciate that many people swear by the protective knee braces, and dont want to get into that topic at all. Simply put, I am more comfortable, etc., without the brace at this point. The Donjoy brace did help during the recovery period and allowed me to ride earlier than might have been achieved without it, due to the additional support that it provided.

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Erinn,
This is Brian - we met at Dave Woods class. I had the big Patio Hauler 5th wheel & Stu borrowed my wife's XR250.

I got a CTI2 thru insurance for my left knee after patellar graft ACL reconstruction - tore it playing basketball. I started riding again after ~4 months and it was too soon - leg wasn't strong enough. I've used the CTI2 for dirtbikes (I don't ride any MX), snow skiing and volleyball. The only trouble I've had with it is the 'roping' of the straps. A few times the straps caused my calf to cramp because I had them so tight to keep the brace from slipping. When the Asteriks came out I was very intrigued because they address the roping issue very well. They don't use two straps on the calf or hamstring, instead they use one large 'strap' that distributes the load much better and I've never had a cramping problem with the Asteriks. The only trouble I've had with the Asteriks has been the fact that they are not custom fit to my legs so I get a bit of pressure on the front of my shin. My CTI2 does not have this problem. I mentioned the pressure problem with my Asteriks on another post and Billy PM'd me to send them in for upgrades. Customer service is awesome and the upgrade/refit made an improvement but they are still not to the level of my CTI2 - I don't expect them to be either since they aren't custom fit ( I had to send my CTI2 back initially for the same problem).

Best of both worlds? A custom fit frame with a 'strap' set-up like the Asteriks. If Donjoy or Townsend offer that then I say go for them. If Asterik offers a custom frame then I wouldn't hesitate to use it.

On a side note: I haven't worn a brace for riding or volleyball in quite a while. Dave's class might have been the last time I wore my knee braces riding. I'm more comfortable on my bike w/o the braces. If I rode MX I'd probably wear them though.

Brian

Top Bottom