Bizerk

Feb 28, 2004
Do any of you where knee braces or knee guards? Are knee braces only needed if you had a prior injury? I'm a little confused on this topic as you can tell. I just purchased a pair of Thor knee guards that seem good.

Moto Squid

~SPONSOR~
Jul 22, 2002
I've never had braces but have worn many different guards. I started with the cheapo thors and broke two sets right away. Then got medium priced fox ones and they work pretty well. I've now got Fox Raptors??? (I think thats what they're called) They've got a dual pivot design with three straps instead of two. I really like them.

HobRoff

Sep 10, 2003
The cost of the some of the better braces about knocks the wind out of me, but when you compare that to surgury and lost work then they may be pretty cheap insurance. I too am somewhat vexed by this topic.

Right now I have been out of work for two weeks with a torn up right knee, worse yet is I just got the bike all tricked out for the season. This injury was work related and the result of lateral forces (side to side, and this is what a brace is designed to prevent/limit), in other words I've been shopping around for knee braces, my conclusion after recovering from sticker shock is that being a mere OHV enthusiast (amatuer) doesn't really justify a top of the line brace - but then I am 44 years old, married, dogs, house, etc. throw in a single/younger factor where frequent bail and sails may occur then maybe I would consider a good brace. I would like to try some on for sure to see how the fit is but right now I am just going for a Ace wrap, which I have a good feel for, and gourds, umm gaurds. My advice is to invest in neck and back protection!

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
my conclusion after recovering from sticker shock is that being a mere OHV enthusiast (amatuer) doesn't really justify a top of the line brace
Are your knees any less valuable than a pro's?

There is NO WAY I will ever get on a bike without my braces. That $500 is a lot less than the deductible alone would be for surgery. I don't even want to go into the bummer of living with a bad knee for the rest of my days. I blew one of them up many years ago and even after surgery, it's never been the same. I'll do whatever it takes to protect the other one.

Obviously, there are differing opinions, but in my mind, knee braces are second only to helmets for must-have protection. If I can't afford to properly protect myself while riding, then I can't afford the sport.

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
Never had a knee injury. I'm older, and I agree that as a mere MX amateur, protecting my knees probably isn't that important. I don't need to stay healthy to win a championship.

HOWEVER, I cannot afford to be hurt and lose time from work. My job is worth far more than what pro-riders that finish outside of the top ten make, and I wager that most of them are wearing braces.

I am convinced that the braces (I have Asterisk) prevented a serious injury on at least on occasion. The back of my calf and front of my shin were very sore after the get off, which I interpret as the arms of the brace transmitting the force of the impact away from my knee and to the larger bones and muscle tissue.

HobRoff

Sep 10, 2003
Good feedback, I know in my case I ride pretty conservatively and in nearly 35 years being involved in athletics have had only minor injuries to the knees, mostly involving impacts, Right now I have a torn meniscus, strained MCL and a bone bruise and I can't even determine when exactly I did it, at work crossing a down tree is pretty much what I have narrowed it down to. The prescription is not to go for surgury. The knee will always be unstable. Have you guys used your braces in other than Moto/riding applications? I need to find something thats functional on the job (walking,crawling, climbing, jumping,etc) as far as riding, skiing, etc. As it turns out the job has proven to be more injurious than a dirt bike. My point in the previous post was meant to be that the more aggresive you ride, the more you should consider serious protection.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
My point in the previous post was meant to be that the more aggresive you ride, the more you should consider serious protection.
I'm not sure I completely agree with that. I've had get-off's at speed that didn't hurt, and basically tipped over only to injure something. I know Thump's badly blown knee happened when he was pulling off the track and AJ's leg break happened while just bunny-hopping a small jump. I've hyper exteneded my (bad) knee just stepping off a curb, lol.

Bizerk

Feb 28, 2004
Thanks for all the great feedback. For now I can't afford the knee braces. I just put a lot of money in parts into my KDX200 and haven't even rode it yet because of the weather. I did purchase a pair of the Thor aftershock knee guards and chest protector for now and of course have a helmet, googles, boots and a kidney belt.

When I have the money to buy a pair of knee braces, which ones do you guys use or recommend?? and what kind of prices are they? I tried on a pair of the EVS E01 braces but did not really care for them. They were affordable though at $99 a piece.

So anyhoo....again which ones do ya recommend??

Top Bottom