jat123

Jun 19, 2000
Need to get braces for my son. I read the product reviews from DRN. Wanted to see how other people who wear braces feel. Let me know what you wear and how you like them.

Thanx
Jim

Last edited:

Wild Hare

Aug 9, 2001
I've had my CTi's for about a week. I've got two rides with them, don't know why I waited so long. Very comfy and actually let me grip the bike better standing. Highly Recommended.

Cells are very nice as well but I couldn't use them due to a calcium deposit on my leg from a compound Tib/Fib break...They do have WONDERFUL customer service.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
What sort of riding does your son do, and how much are you willing to shell out?

fremontguy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 1, 2000
My newly aquired Cell braces protect knees all around, and have extension stops to prevent leg stabbing injuries. They fit a little tight on bottom part, but overall are good stuff.

kelsorat

Knucklehead Newbie
Nov 5, 2001
EVS RS6. MINE SEEM TO BE TOO LONG. THEY TOUCH THE TOP OF MY BOOTS IF THE BRACE LOOSENS UP. JUST MAKE SURE YOU FIT THE BRACE WITH BOOT FOR COMFORT'S SAKE

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Don't know about you, but I like the bottom of my braces to go well into the top of my boot.

fremontguy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 1, 2000
By the way, Tech8 boots are perfect combo with Cell brace. Brace just slides in top of boot and the boot strap adjustments stay the same. Gonna try new fox 360 pants over them tommorow.

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
My cells are a full 2" from the top of my boots.
I am 6'8" though.
They just went through mine and gave me all the updates for free.
All my riding partners covet my red ones...
I love these guys...(not my riding buddies, Asterisk)
I guess I do like my riding buddies a lot, just not welll...
I should just shut my mouth.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
If the ortho is going to perscribe them they will need to be classified as a medical device which will mean something like the CTI's and such. If he won't do it and a lot won't because of insurance company rules (i.e. we'll pay for it IF it happens) then the Cells are the only way to go. The protection they offer to the patela can not be equaled by any brace currently available. My ortho told me he would rather me have the Cells that ANY other brace and would have perscribed them if he could.

LWilson250

Jan 1, 2001
I still need to get off my lazy butt and call about the Cells... I just wish they didn't cost so much. :( Is there any way to get around the cost or am I just going to have to go broke to get them?

Lee W.

Wild Hare

Aug 9, 2001
Count your blessings, I couldn't wear Cells because of another injury.... the next best brace is the EDGE. They are $1200 a set, I could have bought two sets of Cells!:(

The good news is they have the same great support! :)

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
The price of the Cells is cheap compared to ANYTHING that might even think about coming close. Yeah it might sting a little bit but for what you get it's money well spent. Think of it as a pair of Tech 8's and a really nice helmet to get some perspective. You wouldn't ride without either one of them right?:)

CRguyStan

Dec 10, 2001
Cells Are Cheap

LR250 (I think)
I put off getting braces forever and then when inbetween jobs (no insurance) I had a serious get off and my ACL ripped the top of my tibia out. I had to have knee surgury to sew the chip back on and my bills finally got here, $12,000 and change, luckely I know a local therapist and am getting free physical therapy. So I just got my cells in on Wednesday for when I can finally start my bike again. So hindsight left me thinking that $560 isn't so bad for a pair of supreme braces.
Stan

jat123

Jun 19, 2000
Thanks for all the replys... I also have been looking at a new brace called Armor that is about the same price - 560 a pair. Langston has been using them. I have about a month before the cast comes off so I will see what I hear about them. Their web address is:

www.donjoyarmor.com

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
While on the subject, anyone know how well the EVS RS6 work and feel? They look pretty good and are $370 a pair at Chaparral.

buffmaster

Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 11, 2001
I like the EVS. I've got a pair that I've used for half the season. They're very supportive, and I like the impact protection 'plates' on the thigh and shin. My only complaints are the knee cups (they don't float very well), the heat build up (par for the course) and the straps (the upper calf in particular. I've got the XL, and the thing's still a little tight.) Like I said before, if I'd had the extra cash, I would've gotten the Asterisks, but these things are much better than none at all.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Just some food for thought on several other braces. If they have an metal frame they will be subject to bending. I went through 3 different types (Don Joy was one) and they worked well but did not hold up to abuse. This was several years ago so perhaps that is no longer an issue but then again maybe it is?

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I own RS6's and Asterisk's. They are two different animals. This thing has been hashed out extensively in previous threads so you may want to do a search and see what was said. One school of thought is that flexible bracing can provide protection yet yield during a great trauma. This flexing could possibly allow a leg bone to not break at the expense of comprimising the knee. The rigid type bracing, like Asterisk, will support the knee from much more trauma than the RS6 will, but at the expense of possibly having a leg bone yeild.
I have worn both of these braces lots. I also have switched off occasionaly to get a better feel for which I like best. I have to say that the Asterisk gives me everything I'm looking for in a brace. Including more confidence, which in my opinion, makes one a faster rider.
If you are an easy type rider and don't compete, then the RS6 is also a good choice. Far better than shin guards or nothing at all.

storytime

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2001
Knee braces?

Have had a set of cti-2s for some time now unfortunetly I have them because of reoccouring knee opperations due to get offs. Take it from a 42 yr old.
Buy now, do not wait any longer.The price is minimal compaired to not being able to do what you love to do.Next step for my right knee is a total replacement, now ask me if I go out riding without them.
Spend a little now SAVE ALOT later.;)

Thump

Jr Admin Type
Jan 17, 2000
Originally posted by Wild Hare
Count your blessings, I couldn't wear Cells because of another injury.... the next best brace is the EDGE. They are $1200 a set, I could have bought two sets of Cells!:(
The Edge is a not in the same league as the Cell as far as protection IMO because of the lack of lateral support. Excellent hyper-extension support.... I am post-op both knees and will not wear the edge but that is just me. When I am not wearing the Cells I have o the CTi2 because I think it is the only brace that I have tried that is as good. ofcourse this is just my opinion.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom