angry jim

Sponsoring Member
Aug 4, 2000
Source:Detroit Shock athletic trainer Laura Ramus, Dr. Edward Wojtys,University of Michigan,Cincinnati Sportsmetrics, American acadamy of Orthopedic Surgeons

Training: Start training 6 to 8 weeks before a sport or new activity begins.

Functionality: Aim for functional training. Do things that mimic the movements you would use in a sport or activity. "Correct stregth training for girls/women is when you can control your own body weight against gravity," Laura Ramus.

Stength: Strengthen your core muscles-back,abdominals,hips-not just legs.

Weight: Maintain proper weight. Each extra pound you have puts 4 extra pounds of pressure on your knee when you walk.

Posture: Have your posture evaluated. If you tend toward a swayback or flat feet, get proper shoes. Both conditions can put more inward pressure on knees.

Hamstrings: The hamstrings help to stabalize the ACL. In men, hamstrings are 60% to 70% as strong as the quadriceps. In women, they're only 45% to 55% as strong.

New research at the University of Michigan shows ACL injuries tend to cluster on days 9 to 14 of the women's cycle, as the estrogen peak relaxes ligaments.

I thought I remember seeing something about knee injuries here a while back. I remember from years of playing basketball, that women are more at risk for ACL injuries than men. I knew of a few women friends that had this very injury. I hope this helps.

Top Bottom