KTM 2001 300EXC Suspension

DougM

Oct 12, 2001
I am a new rider. Started in Aug 01. Been riding mountain bikes for years. I am 6'3" and weigh 190lbs. With gear I weigh 203lbs and with water 208lbs. I have talked to a million people and have gotten a million suggestions. Common theme is a PDS 3 rear shock and .44kg fork springs. I ride tight single track in Northern California with lots of roots, rocks, hills and ruts. Starting to love it.
I like the stock springs (.40kg) and I haven't bottom out yet. I just installed the PDS 3 spring and will try it out on Sunday at Middle Creek. I bought a pair of .42 springs from Holeshot and a 8.6 straight rate rear spring. The 8.6 shock spring with a static sag of 30mm gave me a race sag of 114mm without water and 116mm with water. Denny led me believe he had answer for me when I called about handling the bike through tight trails. I never rode with the 8.6. I started learning this subject and the other day I bought a pair of .44 WP springs at cost from a Club I'm in. Now I have been thinking of putting one of these sets of springs in. .42 for a soft ride (probably better for rocks) or .44 because everyone says I should. Or how about leave stock in because I like the way it is now. If I don't try I won't know. Race Tech web site says for 205lb I need a .436 spring (.44kg)
Also should I try to revalve with race tech and if so should I choose novice/intermediate or advance settings. I ride the advance trails on maps for Northern CA. They are marked beginner through Advanced.

This is my first post and lets see what I get

Doug

Montana300

May 4, 2000
Doug, I also have an '01 300EXC. I bought it in August to replace my '99 300EXC. So what did you want to change about the suspension? Did you go to the heavier fork springs? I think the forks are harsh, but that it is a valving problem which I intend to change with the revalve kit I ordered. I like the stock fork springs for now. So do you have any conclusions to share with us?

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…