MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
I got the latest Dirt Bike Magazine that had the 450 shootout in it. It was cool to see EX/Caliber being rated on the top, but it was not cool to see they got 95.3 dB on the sound test. While that works out west, that's a problem here in MI - I'm thinking about the ROS. :( Has anyone had experience with how the 450 is doing here in MI at MCCCT ride sound tests? Sounds like I will definately be taking the CR250 as backup. I can't believe that bike would beat out the KTM in a sond test, but I already know that'll get below 94 with the FMF Q on it.

Got any ideas?

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
MWEISSEN said:
I got the latest Dirt Bike Magazine that had the 450 shootout in it. It was cool to see EX/Caliber being rated on the top, but it was not cool to see they got 95.3 dB on the sound test. While that works out west, that's a problem here in MI - I'm thinking about the ROS. :( Has anyone had experience with how the 450 is doing here in MI at MCCCT ride sound tests? Sounds like I will definately be taking the CR250 as backup. I can't believe that bike would beat out the KTM in a sond test, but I already know that'll get below 94 with the FMF Q on it.
Got any ideas?

Mark your 450 will pass with flying colors :ride: The only thing your 250 will be doing is holding on to the for sale sign :laugh: better safe than sorry though. See you there.
Funny thing about that issue of dirt bike. The 05 FE450E Husaberg is almost 10lbs lighter. 240.3LBS the 05 KTM 450 EXC approx. 248.7 lbs Funny thing they didn’t even mention Husaberg? :blah:

3KDXXR2

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 3, 2002
Pat, In the new dirt rider they test the Berg with all the others and it does pretty well. :cool: Curtis

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Mark
Stock KTM's have passed every sound check I've ever seen. You will have no problem.

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
When I helped with sound test at the fall color tour every KTM with a stock exhaust passed with ease. They see that stock exhaust and dont even bother breaking out the sound meter. They just wave them thru. KTM's and Honda XR's w/ stock exhaust's were the only bikes there that they waved thru like that. Most everything else got a 2nd look.

On a side note the testing guy had high praise for the FMF turbine core II exhaust for the 2-strokes. Said they all pass with flying colors.

On another side note I wouldn't put much faith in dirtriders sound testing. I have found that they are usually off but about +/- 5db for some reason.

Also I found that 95.5db was about the max limit if what they would let pass. There is usually a little tolerance in the 94db rule. My FMFQ on my X came in around 95db and they waved it thru with a glare.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
YZMAN400 said:
When I helped with sound test at the fall color tour every KTM with a stock exhaust passed with ease. They see that stock exhaust and dont even bother breaking out the sound meter. They just wave them thru. KTM's and Honda XR's w/ stock exhaust's were the only bikes there that they waved thru like that. Most everything else got a 2nd look.

Don; I must beat on my Husaberg drum a little more :nener: I was up at the color tour 04 and had to smack the guy running the sound check to wake him up :laugh: "hint, hint" When my Berg was new it was like 92 and some change. That was at the 03 color tour Mio ride.

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
Yea after watching a few hundred bikes pass thru without being able to be on one of them has a way of glassing ones eyes over a little. I was in the zone brother!

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
70 marlin said:
Mark your 450 will pass with flying colors :ride: The only thing your 250 will be doing is holding on to the for sale sign :laugh:

After my ride today, you are absolutely right. I like CRistie, although I had her jetting messed up today, but EXCaliber is magic! I rode the Holton loop with Woodsy, Badgerman and the Badgerman family today, and while I went really easy (my legs swelled up after our last ride, don't know why...), the KTM was fantastic in the tight stuff.

Thanks for the vote on the KTM sound. I usually take the Dirt Bike stuff with a grain of salt, that was my main reason for asking. That magazine hasn't been the same since Rick Siemens left.

Top Bottom