Nverfastenuf

May 4, 2001
Ud Luz, I have to humbly disagree with your post. I feel the KTMs are on par with the Hondas. I can not specifically compare the 400s, but I CAN, and I repeat, I CAN compare the 520EXC to the XR600s. I have owned both(3XR600s), and while the XR600 is reliable, my 520EXC is every bit as reliable. I know I will get flamed for this, but I can see absolutely no reason to ride an XR400 or XR600 when the KTM is an option. It is so much better a bike, the difference is night and day. The only thing the Honda offers is reliablilty, and that is it. When a person rides the 2 bikes back to back the difference is very evident. Sorry, I will get off my soapbox now as I am sure I have offended many out there. I do feel the Honda XRs have there place, I just don't care for the bikes myself. That is MY, and I repeat, MY opinion.

beer_stud_76

Mod Ban
Aug 30, 2002
nver -

well duh! of course its night and day! when i speak of reliability i'm talking about all the 10+ year old XR's i see all the time. i don't recall ever seeing a mid 80's KTM on the trails. now part of this is surely a funtion of market saturation, but a part of it is XR's year after year (and decade after decade) reliability.

having said that, i still vote KTM

jeremiah

prosport

Sep 11, 2002
To all the help recieved i am truly greatful, ill take delivery of my 450 exc in 2 to 3 weeks. Again many thanks. As many of you will know the feeling of changing brands, is not taken lightly, as you will read below i have had a few scooters and they have all been japanese and i have to say i have nothing bad to say about any of them, to all those looking to get into this sport any modern bike you choose will do you good, in my experience jap bike a fastasticly reliable and good fun, the more you look after them the more fun they are and easier to sell when you up grade. take care call and roost or get roosted. Kiwi Current, 01 wr 426 . then back we go...99 yzf 400..98 cr 125..93.. wr 200...93cr125..96xr600..86cr125..yz490..tt600..and the one that started it all. A rm125b.

BCR-Bob

Sponsoring Member
Mar 8, 2001
Originally posted by prosport
and the one that started it all. A rm125b.

Too cool, I had one of those also. In regards to this thread, I purchased a 2000 520EXC in May of 2000. I have raced and ridden it continuously since then. Last winter I went through the motor and found NOTHING wrong with it. I of course replaced the cam brgs and put in a higher comp piston just for kicks. The old piston sits on my desk as I type, still in great shape. I don't think it's my opinion when I say that the RFS is a reliable bike, I have the proof. Any bike can be a POS, just like any car or any other piece of machinery. At our clubs race this last weekend we had about 250 bikes show up. I rode all day sweeping the course between classes. I helped 3 bikes out that had puked (the only 3), all 3 were YZ 2 strokes. Does that meen that the YZs are bad bikes? As far as I'm concerned the YZ line of bikes are superb bikes and deserving of all the praise they receive. I would suspect poor maintenance before I criticise the entire brand of bike.

Oh and one more thing, I would rather rebuild my bike every week than ever spend ridiculous amounts of time and energy kick starting a XR in the woods after each flame out.

beer_stud_76

Mod Ban
Aug 30, 2002
BRC bob -
Oh and one more thing, I would rather rebuild my bike every week than ever spend ridiculous amounts of time and energy kick starting a XR in the woods after each flame out.

well taken.

i don't know if its just me but i've never had any trouble starting any XR. but i have seen a few people kick their leg numb. i suspect this is similar to the phenomena you describe above: operator error.

prosport -

you have to tell me all about it when you get your new KTM. but don't tell me the whole truth. lie a bit. that way i can be happy with my old pig for the next couple years.

jeremiah

Nverfastenuf

May 4, 2001
Jeremiah, many don't have problems starting the XRs. I didn't have that much trouble starting my XRs either. On the other hand, after you have experienced a flame out on a steep switch back, and the kickstart is on the wrong side, as it always seems to be that way, the E Button is of the utmost in convenience. And talk about an energy saving device. I know some think it is frivolous, but I think it is the greatest thing since long travel suspension. Oh yea, I realize you are not supposed to flame out, but I doubt there is a person riding that can say he or she has never flamed out. Just my 02. I think Yamaha thinks the same since they are equipping the WRs with electric start. I am anxious to see how they work, it should be a great bike.

Top Bottom