P

pro65rider

ktm 85 HELP

looking to move up bikes soon im about 80 pounds and 4'7 and i plan on moving up to 85's when im 4'9 or taller.I am a full racer and i go to the track about 3 times a week and i practice at my home track about 2 times a week. I currently ride a 2009 fully modified kx65 and i ride the crap out of it and im getting a bit tall for it IMO. i rode my friends 85's for a day a few months back and he had a kx and a ktm and i really liked the ktm being the fact that it had really good bottom,mid and pretty good top end and handled great.

wasn't crazy about his kawasaki it felt a little slugish. so i am leaning towards the ktm but whats stopping me is the maintence,that scares me,from all the stuff i have been reading about and my ktm 65 i had to rebuild the top end 3 times within 2 months (but i think it had other issues). tell me what you guys think. thanks in advance. BRAAAAAAP

P

pro65rider

looking to move up bikes soon im about 80 pounds and 4'7 and i plan on moving up to 85's when im 4'9 or taller.I am a full racer and i go to the track about 3 times a week and i practice at my home track about 2 times a week. I currently ride a 2009 fully modified kx65 and i ride the crap out of it and im getting a bit tall for it IMO. i rode my friends 85's for a day a few months back and he had a kx and a ktm and i really liked the ktm being the fact that it had really good bottom,mid and pretty good top end.

wasn't crazy about his kawasaki it felt a little slugish. so i am leaning towards the ktm but whats stopping me is the maintence,that scares me,from all the stuff i have been reading about and my ktm 65 i had to rebuild the top end 3 times within 2 months (but i think it had other issues). tell me what you guys think. thanks in advance. BRAAAAAAP

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
How long a 2 stroke lasts depends on how it's ridden and how it's maintained.

Maintenance is something you just have to do. If maintaining your motorcycle is too much of a burden, don't ride it.

If you ride it as much as you are saying, you can expect to put a lot of time on it quickly. That will require a lot more maintenance than I require on my race bike. I don't put much time on mine.

P

pro65rider

when i say maintenance i mean like motor wise. i always here people complain about the piston and the top end.

arnego2

Mar 8, 2008
2 strokes have a similar maintenance schedule at their specific class. So there is little difference in doing a top end on Kawasaki or KTM 2 stroke IMO. Every 15 hours or so in the lite classes I believe.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
My son loved his 85SX, maintenance wasn't too bad. The work was actually easier that it would have been on a KX. The family that I sold it to already had a KX and the kid said he liked the KTM better.

P

pro65rider

i was looking at the newer bikes. has anyone had experience with a 2014 ktm or a 2014 kawasaki

P

pro65rider

never said too intense. ive had more than 10 2t's. i just dont enjoy riding a bike that needs a new top end every week or so .

Top Bottom