ktm pro jr. 3-shoe adjustable clutch ???

spursotexas

Sep 16, 2001
I bought a 2000 pro jr w/ the 3-shoe adjustable clutch. Any info on how to adjust it for better holeshots. My son is 5 yrs old any finally placed 1st yesterday out of 10 riders, but they get him on the start and he has to pass them all. I have put a smaller rear sprocket on, has a twin air pod filter, jetted as lean as i'm willing to go for my altitude (5500') but still has no wheelee or holeshot capability. Top-end is very, very powerful. Any advise on the CLUTCH ADJUSTMENT or anything else would be great. I have no manual info for the 3-shoe clutch...:think

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I thought all the new "pro" bikes had the Dominator style disc clutch and the Adventure series had the shoe style? To me the shoe style is a real P.I.T.A. compared to the disc. You can adjust the springs height on the disc style for hookup from low to high rpms and it's not as abrupt. Maybe replacing the shoe style with a disc type is the route?

ghunter

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 24, 2001
3 'shoe' clutch

My son also has a 2000 SX 50 Pro Jr, but his has the Dominator clutch which is very easy to adjust. There are, if I remember correctly, 3 bolts with hex-head retaining screws on the clutch. Once you loosen the retaining screws, you either loosen the bolts for less slip in the clutch, or tighten for more slip.

There is a fair amount of testing required to get this perfect for the rider, but it isn't that difficult to pull the clutch cover and tighten/loosen the bolts. Just remenber to cover the oil breather hole with a piece of tape before leaning the bike on it's side or you'll have oil leakage on your garage floor. Also remember to take it off! Both of these bit me...once.

Are you sure your's has a 3-shoe? If so, are you sure it's a '00 SX Pro Jr? I'm nearly positive that they all have the Dominator clutch on the Pro Jr. and Pro Sr. from 1999 on.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
There is a range of adjustment on the disc type clutch. I'll try to get it posted once I find it at home.

spursotexas

Sep 16, 2001
I really appreciate all the info but it is a 3-shoe clutch. I have the old clutch in a box. The three shoe has little elevated washers. Do you flip the washers over to adjust it??? I'm ignorate concerning this.... :confused:

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
That sounds like the 3 shoe Action Racing clutch we put on my daughter's LEM LX2S. It doesn't have much for instructions either except to clean the washers every 4 hours of riding.

Her's wasn't engaging quick enough so we took one washer out of each stack and the thing takes off pretty quick now. Of course that could be why she did a faceplant on the triple after we adjusted it but, she seems to have it under control now.

I have been told to use nothing but 75 weight oil with the 3 shoe.

It does seem to help if you clean the washers regularly. I just wipe each one down and put them back in. The KTM dealer here said Action quit making the replacement washers because the cost way more to make than they could possibly sell them for.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom