How do you adjust a 2002 50 PRO Sr.L/C clutch?

Tsoper1

Jan 29, 2002
I just purchased a 2002 KTM 50 PRO Sr. L/C clutch for my son (awsome little bike!:))and I would like to adjust the centrifugal clutch so that it engages as soon as reasonably possible in the rpm range. As received, the clutch doesn't engage until the little beast is screaming! My son is a little on the small side for the bike and it will help his starts if I can get the clutch to kick in as soon as possible. All the spec. sheets on the bike that I have found call the clutch "centrifugal, adjustable", but the manual I received with the bike makes no mention of how to adjust it. I did remove the clutch cover and I can see that I will definitely have to pull the clutch assembly using a puller. I also see that there are three friction shoes with bolts, springs and washers that hold the assembly together. If the clutch is truly adjustable, it looks like I may be able to adjust the tension on each shoe spring stack or I may have to replace the springs with lower force/rate springs. I also see that there is the R&D Dominator clutch assembly available (not cheap!) that claims to be adjustable but I hope I don't have to go to that extreme. I would greatly appreciate any info re. whether or not this clutch is truly adjustable and if so, how? Thanks in advance for any info/help!

Tsoper1

OATS

Nov 8, 2001
THE CLUTCH IS ADJ BY REMOVING THE CLUTCH YOU WILL SEE A BOLT IN THE CENTER OF EACH SHOE REMOVE BOLT YOU WILL SEE A STACK OF WASHER BE CAREFULL AND NOTE THE WAY THE WASHERS ARE STACKED YOU CAN ADJ THE ENGAGEMENT POINT BY ADJ THE STACK. I HAVE NOTICED THAT BY ADJ ONE TO ENGAGE EARLIER THAN THE OTHER TWO MAKES THE BIKE ACCEL SMOOTHER IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS CALL. 1-918-369-1665

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
:think The LC's don't come stock with a disc (Dominator) style clutch?! That seems a bit odd.

Tsoper1

Jan 29, 2002
Oats,

Thanks for the info. That is exactly what I was hoping to hear! I will try the staggered tension approach to smooth out the power delivery. I'll let you know how I make out!

Patman,

I'm not familiar with what exactly the Dominator clutch looks like or is. The factory clutch actually has a drum with radial friction shoes reminiscent of a
drum brake system. Is the Dominator clutch a true disc type clutch similar to
what I see on my YZ250?

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
The Dominator is a single friction disc sandwiched between two plates. The tension on the springs that clamp the pressure plate against the the disc are adjustable for RPM engagement and can easily be adjusted to give a very progressive lock up from any RPM range. The first time my son hit the high rpm adjustment on his bike was pretty scary for me (not him though). I adjusted it to engage lower and at a more progressive rate until he got the hang of it then I tightened up the engagment to hit pretty quick. They require a couple special tools that are a little pricy too so if you price one be sure to include them in the cost.

Tsoper1

Jan 29, 2002
Patman,

Thanks for the info. The Dominator sounds like it is a little more user friendly and adjustable than the factory set-up but the prices I have seen for it are in the $300 range! I hope to get by with adjusting the factory system...at least for a while. I bought my son a PW50 when he was 4 and now that he is 5 1/2, he just pounds the thing suspension wise. I was originally looking at getting him a 50 PRO Adventure but I came across a great deal on the 50 PRO Sr. L/C out of Canada brand new! With $1.60 Canadian to $1.00 US I and no duty or tax I paid $2,015.00 for it! It is definitely on the big side for him now but it is ready for him to grow into! He has to start off with his left foot on the ground and his right leg slung over the seat. As soon as the bike starts to move he shimmies into the saddle and he's off! Once he's moving he had no problems, it's just the starting and stopping for now. I am hopeful that when I adjust the clutch to engage at lower rpms and more gradually, he will have less difficulty.

Thanks again,

Tsoper1

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom