dave2005

Jun 1, 2007
Hey everyone, I am new to dirt bikes and just bought a 1998 KTM EXC 125.

I have a few questions about the bike.

- I have rode my buddies 1993 yz 125 and 2002 kx 250 and my clutch seems different. I know my clutch is hydrolic, but it seems like I have to let the clutch out ALOT farther to get the bike moving than my buddies bikes.

- Also, my bike seems quieter than my buddies bikes. I don't think that my bike has a silencer on it. I looks like the factory exhaust. I'm not to worried about noise (i live in the country), so I would like to make my bike louder.

- And is there anything else i should know about this particular model of bike?

Thanks a bunch,

Dave

02yz426f

Nov 15, 2006
O NO! Wait until one of the mod's gets ahold of you. We promote quiet bikes here because most of us don't live in the country and noise pollution is really a problem that gets our riding spots shut down. Loud pipes compare to quiet pipes only give off more noise, but not really any added horsepower. Loud pipes are annoying, not only to others, but also to yourself. They make your ears ring bad, especially on long rides.

dave2005

Jun 1, 2007
sorry to have offended anyone. I was not meaning to be annoying. I do not know much about bikes and live out in the middle of nowhere. Again I am sorry for having offended anyone.

olderndirtmom

Apr 28, 2007
hey... those willing to learn, and humble enough to apologize seem to be welcome here. You are a quick study. ;)

Here are two great threads you should read beginning to end. You'll learn to be your own person here, and think for yourself. Maybe it is your buddies who need quieter bikes to be cool? :think:

http://dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=118083

http://dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=133979

Good luckdave2005. You are on your way to a great education about bikes and life. :)

dave2005

Jun 1, 2007
hey thanks alot, yeah I'm still learning and have alot to learn about the do's and don'ts of this awsome sport. I am not opposed to people's opinions. The more help I can get, the better.
Again thanks and great site :cool:

Perk

~SPONSOR~
Sep 17, 2001
Welcome to the sport Dave. If we had more riders with your respect for the sport, we would have a lot more land available than we do.

May 10, 2007
go out and ride quietly and tell ur friends to be cool and get a quiet pipe or insert

louder doesnt equal power
louder equals land loss and angry nieghbors

keefbikes

Apr 16, 2007
I have noticed on my KTM 440 it does have a slower release on the clutch. My bike is a loud bugger and trust me there is nothing good that comes of it. It draws nothing but negative attention.

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Dave2005 - welcome to the world of off road! It is addicting so be prepared! Some good advice here already - keep on asking the questions, that is how you learn.

On the clutch as others suggested - worn plates possible, or perhaps your bike's low end power is down for some reason - power valve sticking perhaps? Needs a top end?

I see you are from Michigan. Check out the Michigan Trail riders forum here on DRN - very active bunch there, someone is always willing to hook up for a ride. Introduce yourself! Consider some Family Enduro Series events - great way to meet other Michigan riders, and learn about enduros - these are easy rides, nothing technical, but a blast to do - I have two kids racing the series this year - you can quickly learn the art of enduro time keeping.

A few MIchigan off road FYI's - many of which I am sure you are aware of:

On state land the only place you can ride is on designated ORV trails (unless your bike is plated)

Max noise limit on state land is 94db - that is pretty quiet compared to many MX bikes. Even on private property my opinion is you should keep it down to 94db. Stock KTM 2 stroke off road bikes (ie EXC's like yours) are known to be pretty quiet - which is good!

Spark arrestor is required

ORV sticker required

Enjoy the sport - and do introduce yourself in the Michigan Trail Rider's forum!

ep1k

Jun 14, 2007
Kind of off topic, But I bought my 200exc the same day my buddy got a 125 yamaha 2stroke. The power difference you feel in your legs when you let it whine is cr4zy

muski250

Jul 4, 2007
hi dave welcome to off road riding if your bike has a stock exhaust it has a silencer because its an enduro bike if someone tells you to get an aftermarket exhaust dont listen to them on a newer ktm stock exhaust works the best dont waste your $$$$ use that money on your suspension

Top Bottom