john mcdee

Jan 9, 2002
I read all the info on the KTM`s, the exc is wide ratio transmission and the mxc is close ratio Transmission. The exc has lights and the mxc has no lights but a battery and wiring to add lights. I read mr know it all of dirt bike magazine and he says you should get a MX bike if you want to do jumps. I saw a 2001 400 MXC so I bought it and I love it, after I wear out the off road knobbys I intend to get the best road legal knobbies and add the lights, brakes, horn etc. Its already too late because I alrready own the MXC, but why so many people praising thier EXC`s, I don`t intend to be a MX champ at 50, but my youngest son is getting into MX and I would like to also race while I`m at tje tracl. A few weeks ago I say a vet on a mxc 520 beat everyone off the start and do medium jumps and on every straight away gain on all the 250 two strokes, after 5 laps he was 100 yardsd ahead, just fast not fancy, some of the 250`s put on quite a jumping show I might not win but at least I won`t be last. anyways why so many EXC`s???

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
The suspension between the MXC and EXC, given the same year and model bike, are 100% identical. The SX version has stiffer suspension and is the MX bike of the KTM lineup.

Folks like the EXC for the wide ratio tranny. I had one MXC and it was too short legged for me and I rarely get into top gear. But when I do, like catching up in and enduro on an open stretch, I want to be able to go! Having stock lights on the EXC make it easier for folks doing enduros where those are required, too.

wsmc831

~SPONSOR~
Apr 30, 2002
Hmm, interesting info, I didn't even know that about the differences. I was looking...and looking, for a nice 300 mxc, but the ratio was like 5-1 against. Everyone seemed to like the e's...
I bought the M mainly because of the weight difference. I won't ride at night and only do day enduro's....'
It gets here saturday morning, and even though I'm 33, I'm starting to feel positively giddy (especially since all the parts I ordered have arrived)!

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
With the E/XC you can pop the light on when you have to jump on the pavement for a minute or two, and you look like you belong there!

Asrith

Jul 18, 2001
I am just looking for some more opinions about a 97 300 EXC I am going to buy in excellet condition for 2200.00. can you tell me about your experinces? I have owned a lot of honda's amd kawas's. your respnse is apprecitated.

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
Originally posted by wsmc831
I bought the M mainly because of the weight difference. I won't ride at night and only do day enduro's....'

What weight difference is that? The 2001 specs I have show the 300M and E to be exactly the same weight, which make sense except for maybe a pound or two of lights and subfender.

Day enduros is all I run, too. A lot of enduros insist on a headlight because they use or cross public roads where lights are required.

Top Bottom