mxbundy

Sponsoring Member
Feb 16, 2001
Hemet, CA.
Hi guys,
I posted to the suspension forum on this but only got one response, so maybe you guys have an opinion.
I currently ride a YZ-250F and WR-400F. Both bikes have Race-Tech suspension and the action is superb. Just so you know I am 6' 4" and 260# and am a former expert class off road rider. I am getting back into racing on a more serious level and plan on making it back to the expert division.
Now the KTM 400/520 are on my short list for my next race bike.
What i would like to know is if the KTM PDSshock and WP forks can be made to perform as well as the Kayabas on the Yam.
I like the light weight of the KTM bikes, I see the 400 as maybe a blend of the light weight of the 250F with the power of the WR-400. After getting the 250F my race results have improved simply because I dont get as tired wrestling it around for a three hour race.But I think I need more power for the more open courses.
But if the KTM cannot be made plush and have good bottoming control like my Yam. the light weight of the KTM woulb be negated by a suspensin system that tired me out prematurally.
I am a little gun shy because I had a 97 300 KTM and I never got a setup going for that bike. Even after several companies took a shot at it.
So whats the scoop.

thanks mxbundy

Anssi

May 20, 2001
The KTM suspension has evolved in leaps and bounds since 97. The SX models sure have bottoming pretty well under control, but there are still issues with the stock suspension about being weirdly soft/harsh in different areas. At least that's the case with me.

However, my -02 520 SX tires me out less than my -00 YZ250 did.

johnf3

Mar 21, 2000
This reply applies to a 520EXC, I am not sure if the MXC 4 strokes have the same valving or not. I came off of a YZ 250 that had the works done to it by MX Tech, and was ridden in all types of terrain and different types of racing. I am 6'4" and 220. On the front, the 4 stroke EXC's are set up very soft stock. They are not harsh on small hits as some have said about other KTM's. The low speed circuit works very well for me. However, on big hits, problems arise quickly. Mine bottomed way to easily. After the first ride, went to .46's and Mx-Tech's suspension oil (mostly made up of Mobil 1 ATF) set at 120mm. This helped a bunch, but I have made my mind up to have them re-valved for more high speed compression.

On the back, I went with a straight rate 9.0, but could probably use a 9.4. I could not get the proper sag with the stock PDS 2 and Mr. Wilkey at MX-Tech is a proponent of straight rate springs for the PDS rears. After taking his advise, I am too. My bike does not exhibit any of the front end push others talk about. It corners at least as well as my 2 stroke Yamaha. I am happy with the PDS.
With work, the suspension will be fine. At your height/weight/speed, it will defintely need spring changes and probably valving changes before you are happy. Properly set up, it is hard to beat this bike.

Icon

Sep 21, 2001
mxbundy:

I currently own a 01 yz250 an I just recently purchased a 2001 400 SX.The stock forks on my SX were to soft for me - 190lbs. I had the forks re-valved by MX-TECH and stiffer springs installed.My YZ valving is stock with the correct springs for my weight.The 400 forks are dramatically better than my YZ forks - I find the YZ almost unridable. My riding buddies all agree that the SX forks are easily the best forks they have ridden. Their skill levels range from beginner to intermediate. Furthermore,the bike steers excellent.I believe alot of KTM owners are under the impression that they need new triple clamps to make it turn when in fact they should be getting the forks done.
MX-TECH assured me the difference would be as dramatic with the rear shock.I am currently having it revalved.
My YZ is for sale.

cujet

Aug 13, 2000
The 2002 KTM 520EXC I have ridden has very nice woods suspension. I was impressed by the forks, the action was plush and control was good. The shock however, is a little odd feeling. I felt it use up a lot of travel for minor bumps. I never bottomed hard, however it felt like it was going to. It worked fairly well but felt different than I am used to. I think the shock could have used some quality tuning.

Chris

Top Bottom