KTM/WP R509 fork upgrade - update please

Douglas

Nov 29, 2000
Several of you guys talked about an available upgrade kit (R509) for your early 2001 forks (Mine is one of the first 2001 400 EXC's) could you post your impressions of the benefit? I am not too impressed with my forks (I have gone to an Ohlin rear shock). I have a set of 97' KYBs that I have working very well (better at least than the WP's) and I could adapt them over, I would prefer to make the WP's work if possible. Please comment on your experience with the update kit, is it worth the effort?

------------------

WhiPit

Mar 16, 2000
You bought an Ohlins!?!? WOW! Pretty serious...I can't imagine that some suspension shop couldn't have gotten your stock WP shock working at least as well, if not better than the Ohlins. There was also an optional WP "SXS" shock with the hi/lo speed comp adjuster that you could have bought - both scenarios would have been cheaper than the Ohlins, I'll bet.

And then to consider hacking on a set of KYB's to the bike? Kind of like trying to kill a pesky house fly with an A-Bomb, huh?

Try calling MX-TECH. Jer knows his stuff and I'm sure he can save you from having to go to all the trouble of adapting KYB's to your bike. The WP stuff isn't THAT bad.....really, it isn't.

------------------

WhiPit

Mar 16, 2000
P.S. The R509 DOES make an improvement, but it's not as simple as just installing the new taps. You have to have the proper valving to go with it, for the system to work the way it should.

------------------

James Dean

May 17, 2000
WhiPit,

Have you ridden a KTM with the R509 upgrade kit yourself?

How would you describe the performance in terms of plushness, bottoming resistance, and control?

-I think that would be first hand and relative. ;)

James

------------------

tm-enduro

Mar 7, 2001
Sorry Douglas, I've not tried the update kit, but I can appreciate your desire for properly operating suspension. One of the big benefits to the Ohlins shock is the hard surfacing on the parts. That being said, you might look into ti-nitride surfacing the stanchion (sp?) tubes and having the internals hard surfaced by someone such as Factory Connection. That is what is done to the Ohlins forks and the SXS WP units. Reducing the stiction will go along way to improving fork action. I've noticed decreased small bump sensitivity on my Paoli 46 Blue Steel forks as the finish wears off the piston and other internals. A smooth working fork is much easier to set up. It is my understanding that the ti-nitride surface makes quite a difference (I may upgrade my forks soon). If you can afford it, get the SXS 43 (or 48mm) or the Ohlins , either set is ~$2500). Good luck.

------------------

drehwurm

Dec 9, 2000
Servus Douglas,

I think I've said that before, but again: the upgrade kit will not work wonders on your fork, BUT it will give you a wider range of adjustability with the right valving. Unfortunately the new parts only widen the range towards 'soft' and as, IMHO, the WP KTM forks are already too soft on LSC it doesn't help at all with the stock setup!

I think that I finally found a nice setup for me (and will write about it in shim shuffle part III), but unfortunately never tried this with the stock parts - so I've no direct comparison. I might be terribly wrong on this, but I don't think the update kit makes all the difference!

BTW I also have an Öhlins PDS on the rear and like it a lot. It is revalved though and the stock 2001 PDS is not that bad at all!

Michael

------------------

Douglas

Nov 29, 2000
drehwurm,

Thanks for the report, I'll be interested in your stack and its predominate use. Most of what I ride in California is mountain enduro trails, and technical, hare scrambles type terain around Tecate, Mexico.....medium speed and plenty of rocks. Like everybody I'm looking for smooth action that resists deflection. I have long experience with Ohlins, I like its range of adjustment and it is familiar for me to work on. Do I understand correctly that the R509 kit includes new parts for rebound as well? Does anybody know the serial number starting point on the later bikes that come with the parts installed?

Thanks, Doug

------------------

Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Jan 28, 2000
KTM UPGRADE..
My company has been doing LOTS of testing With the KTM's. My Main Shop tech Jon was so pumped with the bike he now owns one. (John is national number 242.) I also have one that I'm borrowing from a freind for personal use.. I'm getting my own 250 hopefully in the next few weeks..

I would like to back Whip it up. Here is what I can say (Based on exsperience). The new taps allow the basevalve to adjust over a wider speed range. The larger orfice allows more flow wide open but, how often do you ride with a full open clicker? The new taps are cool but not nesciary..

Secondly Ohlins shocks are not really very good. They are cool looking but internally are certainly no better than the PDS.. Next Year WP is really improving the look with a forged body.

I guess my point is this.. (To those who tried the taps and thought more flow would be the answer) I'm not surprised
at all that you found no answers in larger ports. Those things only impact certain aspect of the suspension, and not the biggest aspects...

As for the WP forks they can be made to work way better than you KYB's.. Really..

Regards,
Jer

Douglas

Nov 29, 2000
Jeremy,

Thanks for your input on the upgrade kit, that is the kind of information I was looking for. Perhaps the key phrase in your opening was "lots of testing" While not trying to avoid sending my forks out (I prefer to work on my own stuff when I can)I hate to get into a lot of testing and I would rather spend the time riding. So asking for input is what these E mails is about. I am surprised at your statement that Ohlins are "Really not very good". You certainly have a right to your opinion, but it has been my experience that most things can be made to work, and having experience with something shortens the curve. I was NOT knocking the WP stuff. Rather, I was looking for input to shorten the curve, I realize that how something works is a subjective judgement at best. I have no reason to promote or demean WP, Ohlin, or KYB. I just want my bike to work its best, where and how I ride.

Doug

------------------

drehwurm

Dec 9, 2000
Servus Douglas,

I'll be interested in your stack and its predominate use.

Part three is coming, but I've a hard time expressing my thoughts correctly as english is not my native language and I want to be careful on this one - just a few days.

Do I understand correctly that the R509 kit includes new parts for rebound as well? Does anybody know the serial number starting point on the later bikes that come with the parts installed?

Yes, there are new rebound parts too, but I probably had wrong infos about the KTM update. I have yet to see a 2001 KTM with the updated parts and it looks more like only the aftermarket WP forks have the new parts!!!

Michael

------------------

Top Bottom