syko

Jan 10, 2004
hi,
I just wanted a bit of general advice.
I'm considering buying my first euro bike.a 06 125sx. I've always had japanese machines, currently a 05 crf250.

So, how do the KTM's really compare. particularly as quality workmanship and reliability goes and how dop they differ from the japanese bikes?

are they as good/ better quality?

are just want some honest opinions on these bikes basically.
any info is appreciated.
thanks

elf

Jun 7, 2003
are they as good/ better quality? [/QUOTE said:
Yes, = or better to jap bikes. The 125 sx is very reliable, also its very easy to work on when you do need to do maintenence. Jetting is a breeze compared too some jap bikes.
The only thing you might not like is the suspension, although the 06 is not bad, its still not going to feel as good as your honda.

syko

Jan 10, 2004
thanks for the replies.
It'll be a race bike only.
Most of my competition are obviously now on four strokes but I genuinley am a better 2 stroke rider so back to the smokers I go.

Yamadad

Jul 17, 2005
I think the overall build quality is better on the KTM, but the suspension does lag behind the Japanese bikes. However, a little aftermarket help will sort that out. Plus, most competition bikes regardless of brand usually gets some kind of aftermarket treatment, so you're right there anyway.

Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
I just bought an 06 125sx, and I love it. If you have a 2-stroke style, you won't be dissapointed. This thing holds the inside line like my 426 could only dream about. I think that the suspension is also the best stock suspension I have ever ridden.

MrKartoom

Nov 3, 2005
KTM quality is right up there with Honda if not even better. I had an '01 125SX and wish I had never sold it. It was a blast. I thought it handled great, but the linkless suspension is a little harder to get set up IMO. Once you do however, it is very good. The good thing is 2 bolts and you have that shock out in like 30 seconds! The motor on that thing is lovely.

sinner 04

Sep 12, 2005
My buddy has a 03 125SX and i have a 04 CR125, so i have loads of hours on both. KTM has some better components like hydraulic clutch, better clutch and brake levers, better chain and sprokets etc. It has a smaller feel to it then the honda, and the motor is way funner. The seat feels really hard and the different suspension feels weird to me but that could be just cause i'm so used to the honda and anything would feel different. So it's got some goods and bads but if i did it again i'd do KTM cause the motor is that much better. As for reliability, they tend to use better parts so theoretically they should have better reliability.

indianamx641

Oct 31, 2005
KTM suspension is different, it just takes getting used to.. The no linkage suspension will give sort of a dead feel on the rear end... Test riders in magazines have negative thoughts about it because they're riding 5 brands of bikes with linkage and 1 without- think about it. Get the KTM , you'll be glad you did.

MX GZR

Nov 8, 2001
:bang: Think twice about it. Check your dealer CLOSE. RTR stinks! When I had mine I saw an "attitude" with dealers. Mikes Cycle exceped-those people are GREAT. If you don't live in a big KTM market you will get squat for resale. Most dealers in my area won't take one on trade. Also KTM is very proud of their parts and you will pay more for replacement parts that don't last any longer than the Jap bikes.

Top Bottom