May 1, 2007
Hi guys i am looking at a few bikes locally and I am down to two of them. The first is a completely rebuilt 2001 KX125, it was stripped down and just about anything with wear was changed. It looks brand new and only has 2 tanks on the new engine and parts. It has brand new tires also. It looks about as new as a used bike can look. He is asking $1400 for it. Second choice is a 1986 Honda xr600r Baja Edition with a completely rebuilt engine he is asking $850.
I am 6'4 250lbs and have little experience. I plan on riding carefully on open trails for awhile while i learn more. I would like power but i am honestly not even bored with riding a klx 125 as of now, just uncomfortable. The xr would most likely be easier for me to learn on and get better gas mileage and have more torque and last longer but it is air cooled and i would be afraid of it over heating on me during summer monthes. I am attracted to the kx because i could rebuild it myself for cheap and learn that aspect of the sport. Plus, its like a brand new bike and would have good resale value. I think it would be fun to rip on a 125 2 stroke also but i am worried it wont have enough low end grunt to pull me around and i would have to 'give it hell.'

I know i am comparing apples to oranges but i honeslty think i would be happy with either one. For the record i have not ridden either or any bike other than a klx125 for that matter so im sure either will feel like a whole lot of bike to me. Any input would be nice, i cannot make up my mind and both seem like decent deals to me. thanks in advance.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
if you enjoy keeping the throttle pinned and fanning the clutch to keep the power to the ground, get the KX125

if you like to go from anything between lugging along at low speeds to an eye-watering, face-melting, speed record setting pace, get the XR600. It's a much more versatile bike. And I've never heard of one melting down as long as it has been properly maintained.

May 1, 2007
Are parts readily available for that old of a xr600r? I am almost leaning toward it because im sure i could get a year or maybe even two of trouble free riding as long as i maintain it which isnt bad for a $800 bike. Anybody have something similar that can tell me if air cooled, large motors overheat easily or would i have to really rip on it?

XR250rdr

May 27, 2003
All of the regular maintenance items for the old XR6 are still available. There might be a couple odd ball parts that have been discontinued, but nothing you will probably ever break.

That bike will take almost anything you can throw at it and I keep hearing the dual carb XR6s were faster than the later models.

taloolamx

Oct 3, 2006
I had a 98 KX 125 a few years back. I loved that bike and still consider it one of the best bikes I've owned. It was a really well rounded bike and never had issues with it. It really helped develop my riding ability a lot, especially track riding. I also did a fair bit of trails and desert riding too. You'll learn real quick how to fan the clutch and stay in the power band. A buddy of mine had an XR 600 too. It was also a really fun bike to ride, but in a different kind of way. It is heavier and does not feel anything like a motocross bike. It had power when ever you needed it, and could lug real low as well. It was also not a bad desert bike too. If you are going to get into track riding, jumping, and really whipping your bike around then the KX would be a better choice. But if you don't care about that and want a trail bike, either or would work fine. If it was me and I had the two options before me, I wouldn't even think twice and get the KX. But that is just my preference.....

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
IMO, in the long run I think you'll find that you're on the heavy side for a 125. . .

For trails the XR is definitely the better choice for you. I like my 125/144 just fine for trails, but I'm 145 lbs.

You couldn't really have picked more opposite motors as far as purpose, power spread, etc. . . The XR will be much more like the KLX - but with A LOT more power.

If you've never ridden a 125 2 stroke, you might want to try it out before buying. It's nothing like a 4 stroke trail bike.

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
The XR600 is almost bullit proof. It is strong and will last for along time if taken care of.

Also Itis air coled and my bike is an air colled 2-stroke and i have never had a problem with it. Ill rid it on VERY hot days and ride it hard and it has lasted. You should be fine there.

The KX125 will help you skill up better BUt in the long run you would get bored, and the XR will last you longer.

taloolamx

Oct 3, 2006
Oh, I should have read more carefully. I would think for your size the 125 will be a little on the light side. A 250 two stroke would be a better option than a 125. 600 is an awesome bike and would take you any where.

Top Bottom