KX 250 or YZ 250

ropethebike

Oct 24, 2006
I am going to buy another bike. Have been looking at the YZ 250 pretty hard, but today was readinga round on another site and saw were the KX 250 was a very high rated bike in 2005 and 2006. What are your thoughts on comparing these two bikes for reliability, power, handling, and top speed.

john3_16

May 17, 2004
I think the YZ will be the better bike...The Kawasaki has had some reliability issues with detonation and also alot of reports of kickstarters breaking easily...The KX is physically big so it's probably not as nimble or light as the YZ. The YZ has an alloy frame which will stay looking good.

The YZ makes more power as almost every dyno chart shows it's a few hp stronger than the KX plus it gets good reviews...That said the KX is a very strong bike as well..

Top speed..I saw the top speeds of each 05' 250 2 stroke in dirt riders magazine test and the difference is almost negligable...Although the YZ posted a faster top speed of 69.95 to the KX's 69.59...Taller gearing on either would bring the speed up a little.

Josherichy

Sep 23, 2006
The yamaha is a lite bike and has great power.... my 125 has not had any problems with reliability... but i must agree my kick starter broke once already....

KX02

Jan 19, 2004
I would say pick a color. The KX's breaking kickstarters was only a few of the first 05's and was hugely overstated via the internet. I have kicked the daylights out of mine and am still on the original kickstart lever. I have my bike jetted pretty crisply and have never had any detonating problems. I do run race gas, but the engine tuner I had look at the motor said I could probably get away with pump gas if I had to. I have about 40 rides on my bike and have not had any failures. The motor pulls hard from idle and keeps on pulling, completely stock except for jetting and a Vertex piston! :cool: My friend just got the 06 YZ and he likes it alot as well.

Last edited:
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…