OTHG_DAVE_858

Feb 18, 2005
My 02 KX 250 revs very high when I first start it after its been sitting overnight. After the initial 5 seconds or so it calms down and doesn't do it until it sits overnight again.It runs fine and seems to be jetted properly. Any help would be appreciated.

QKENUF4U

Nov 13, 2005
its just lean on start up. turn the gas on, lay it over on its side for 5 seconds or so (gas will run out the overflow tube) , choke it and then try starting it. laying it over should put some gas in the cylinder so that it wont be lean.

dirtman2527

Mar 19, 2006
I also have an 02 KX250 and I have to choke mine every time I start it for the first time of the day. It also revs a little high but after a few minutes of idle running it goes back down to regular set idle. You might want to pull the carb out and just clean it up a little just in case of a little debris that might be caught up in the choke area. Also make sure that your choke is fully seated when you turn it off it may be sticking open.

OTHG_DAVE_858

Feb 18, 2005
Hey dirtman2527 this is not the usual high idle, this is comparable to a full throttle rev for 5 seconds or so. Does yours also behave like that? I will take the carb off and clean it. I have a feeling it may be an air leak around the reed cage. I'll let you know. Thanks for the help.

Vampyrz

Oct 21, 2004
I don't know about the kx, but my rm250 has an adjustable choke. It would rev like crazy when I first started it until I backed the choke off. Much better now. You might also keep your thumb on the kill button and use it to keep the revs manageable until you either switch the choke off or the revs fall.

QKENUF4U

Nov 13, 2005
it could be an air leak but usually that will be all the time and not for a few seconds. make sure the fuel bowl it full, tip it over, choke it and kick it. see if that makes a difference
good luck

Top Bottom