KC10Chief

Oct 10, 2004
I went out today for my first ever dirtbike ride on my 01 KX 250. I wound up stalling the bike a couple times and had a helluva time getting it started again. Finally, in the parking lot, I noticed somebody twisting the throttle at the same time they mashed down on the kick starter. I tried this on my bike and it fired right up. Is this the correct procedure or is there a different issue with how I'm starting my bike? Thanks! Matt

Oct 28, 2004
when my yz250 is warmed up it normally blip the throtle like 1/3 to 1/2 and she fires right up. also be sure to get into the powerband and let her rev or else you'll be fouling plugs like none other (found that out after riding the yz like a 4-stroke)

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Another hint, it's easyer to start the bike in neutral. Don't assume that you can just pull the clutch in and it will be that same as neutral. There is still some clutch plate drag on the engine when the bike is in gear.

uts

Jan 8, 2004
When your bike is cold, put the choke on and kick it with no throttle. When it starts turn the choke off straight away and warm it up slowly. When it is warm kick with about 1/4 to 1/3 throttle to start it but with no choke. Kicking a warm bike with no throttle will not be very successful. It is normal to have to give it some gas to start when warm

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom