kx front end: Install KX hub or make spacer?

johnkdx220

Feb 6, 2003
To complete the installation of the KX front end on my KDX, I am confronted with 2 options regarding wheel installation:

1) Make a spacers and shims in order to use the KDX wheel/hub assembly or

2) Use the KX hub/spokes I have and install it on the KDX rim.

I'm leaning toward the hub swap (option 2) and acheive wheel lacing/truing for the first time as explained in the following pages. http://www.off-road.com/dirtbike/nov00rsWheelTruing.html) and http://www.off-road.com/dirtbike/dec00rsWheelLacing.html

If you have done KX conversion or have done wheel lacing/truing, I'd appreciate your 2 cents. :thumb:

Thanks.

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
I used the KX wheel assy. with my KX fork conversion. Very fast to do and I sold my KDX wheel for the same price I bought the KX. Not sure about the front wheel, but the rear wheel is very easy to swap the rim and true. Which ever cost you less or however lazy you feel would be the best way to determine which way to go.

johnkdx220

Feb 6, 2003
Good point midhigh,

Looking at the buykawasaki.com site, the part numbers for the KX and KDX rims are different put the basic specs are the same (21x1.6, 36 holes). I also looked at Takasago/Excel application charts from various vendors on the web and most list the same rim number (IC408). Just by looking at it, it looks like a fit... I'll take a chance and give it a try.

Good thing there's lot of snow out here, fooling around with my kdx is way better than paying for shrink... but not as efficient as riding it. :-)

DENNY

Nov 24, 1999
If you have the KX wheel why not use it or do you only have the KX hub? I put a Kx wheel on my KDX forks and all I did was turn down the spacer but you are going the other direction.

johnkdx220

Feb 6, 2003
I only have the KX hub... :|

I'm now considering a 3rd option: Machining an axle to fit the KDX wheel on the KX forks.

I realized last night that the overall width of the KX and KDX hubs are the same including the spacers. The only difference relies in the diameter of the axles inside the hub and where they clamp to the forks.

I'm getting a little bit chiken regarding the lacing and truing option.

sparkz

Jan 7, 2004
KX front end

I've just bought a 2nd bike to rob the trick bits off. It has a 96 KX250 front end running a kdx wheel to keep the speedo drive. I just swapped it all back over to the KDX220 front end to sell. All I had to do was swap the bearings over, & remove some additional spacers that the guy had made. These sit between the two bearings similar to the oe design. If u like I can take a pic of the axle & spacers out of the bike & post em. Also, just another thing but the KX yokes & stem are the original ones, not a combo of KX & KDX, but just a direct bolt in with no spacers.

Shane, (UK)

johnkdx220

Feb 6, 2003
Thanks Sparkz!

Please post the picture if its not too much trouble. This could help others as well. :thumb:

I enquiried a few places about machining an axle and actually found one place who said "Yeah, we do that all the time... You know, these Harley Davidson guys...".
The question is how much $$$ will they want?

Sparkz, you may have saved me a few $$$ :worship:

sparkz

Jan 7, 2004
KS hub etc

Hi guys, being a tad new to this I've tried to do a little drawing of the dimensions I've got, but cant find any way to upload em. If any one wants to PM me I'll email em across. Maybe easier that way

Shane, (UK)

johnkdx220

Feb 6, 2003
I went to the machine shop today and ask them to make an axle that will accept the 15 mm KDX axle but clamp in the 25mm the KX forks clamps... They said, "no problem we'll make it 3.5 hours, you are sure you want to pay $175 US" Geee, for the price, I'll buy a complete wheel! Anyway, that was the first problem. The second problem, and I must say this to set the record straight and admit that midhigh's instinct were right: It is NOT possible to fit a stock KDX rim onto a KX hub/spoke assembly (the nipples holes are too small). Talk about learning the hard way. Regardless of the setback, it was fun because I ended up the day practicing truing the KDX wheel. Much easier than I tought initially.

Anyway, I'm now shopping for a KX rim. End of story. Sighhh

sparkz

Jan 7, 2004
Seems harder than it is

Hi John, no offence fella, but looking at the bits I have, they would cost maybe $30ish tops, less if u can scrounge. It's only the bearings that u would need new. Drop me a PM & I'll send me plans across, & u can take a look & decide for yourself. Seems people appear to be making it a much harder complicated job than it actually is. Just my 2 pennies worth, not trying to upset people.

Shane, (UK) :clue: :yeehaw:

FLBusa

May 29, 2003
sparkz said:
Hi John, no offence fella, but looking at the bits I have, they would cost maybe $30ish tops, less if u can scrounge. It's only the bearings that u would need new. Drop me a PM & I'll send me plans across, & u can take a look & decide for yourself. Seems people appear to be making it a much harder complicated job than it actually is. Just my 2 pennies worth, not trying to upset people.

Shane, (UK) :clue: :yeehaw:

Sparks...

I'm also doing the KX fork swap. I'd like to find some bearings that would work ie. KDx wheel with KX axle. Would you happen to know what diameter the KX axle is?

Top Bottom