KX/KDX Hybrid Planning Who has done it with 1997 KX chassis?

70455gto

Aug 28, 2008
Well, I made a purchase of a hybrid donor and here goes......

I am at a point where I want to make a hybrid.....yet I need to develop a Bill of Materials for what I need to help the project move quickly.

What I have:
2001 KDX200 FMF Gnarly Exhaust
1997 KX 125 Rolling Chassis, missing a few parts

If any one can comment on interchangeability of components, Id appreciate it.

What the KX125 needs to be a complete chassis ready for swap

Rear wheel axle and spacers
Complete rear brake caliper/bracket assembly and hose

Can I use my KDX rear wheel and rear brake in the conversion?

Will I need to source another type of pipe? FMF Gnarly Rev or???

Anyone with 1997 KX125 swap experience please comment....

Thanks

SVandal

Jul 18, 2007
I can't say for sure on everything, but I would recommend getting on one of the parts fiche sites and comparing parts for axles and such to get a better idea. A rear axle though on E_bay may run as low as 5-10.00 with spacers for the KX. I got my cr axle for only about 5 + shipping. As for the pipe, I have heard that the pro-circuit pipe is a direct bolt on, some of the mounts will need to be changed, for the 2003 kx hybrid. I hate to reference another site on this one, but the other kdx forum has a section devoted to hybrids, you may find something there to help with your KX-KDX.

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
I had a '90 KDX/'98 KX125 hybrid.

The rear wheels are completely interchangeable.

I used a Dynoport pipe made just for the conversion; I bought the last one (years ago) but ask if they still have the tooling to make one for you.

The conversion involves a few engine-mount relocations and airboot fitment issues, and perhaps engine case machining at the swing arm pivot - sorry: memory is fading as this was from the first half of this decade.

70455gto

Aug 28, 2008
Did you revalve your suspension?

Do you notice a shorter fuel range with the KX tank? What are the approximate range differences?

SVandal

Jul 18, 2007
70455gto said:
Did you revalve your suspension?

Do you notice a shorter fuel range with the KX tank? What are the approximate range differences?

You should be able to buy an IMS or other aftermarket tank that will keep your fuel quantity the same. If the KX is like my friends KX250 you can expect about 2-2.2 gallons of fuel which is about a gallon less than the KDX. Either buy the bigger tank, buy a front spare tank that doubles as a number plate, carry extra in small fuel bottles, or don't get too far from the truck :) . Decreased range is a potential downfall of the hybrid unless you find a used oversized tank or have the 230.00 that most places want for them.

70455gto

Aug 28, 2008
Here are pics of the pile I have to make my hybrid from.....

Is the Kawasaki caliper attachment bracket fairly universal? Can I use my KDX rear caliper bracket on the KX frame?

Top Bottom