badlyc

Jul 30, 2003
Hello all i have a hard desision to make i have been looking for a trail bike for some time i live on the east coast and mostly drive on rocky atv torn trails. I currently have a 2002 worn out cr 250 i love the bike and the power but it is to much for these trails i rarely get past 3rd gear i was considering the kdx or xr 400 for a more enjoyable ride. The local shops now have left over 2003 cr and kx's for less than i can buy the xr or kdx for.

My question is with some mods to a kx or cr ,flywheel weight larger sprockets various guards ect would they not make a good trail machine?

Thanks

KAWA200'sRule

Mar 15, 2004
Now if your only going to do trails buy a KDX 200 or a 220. Don't get the xr 400 if your doing tight trails although they are good bikes I rode one and it felt to big and bulky for some trails. I ride a KDX 200 and love it. Ride a bike suited for your riding style you know. Cr's and KX's are motocross bikes they are made to do huge triples and all not go trail riding. I've read in various magazines that KDX's are the best trail bikes ever PERIOD. Hope this helps

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Woods, trails, MX, SX AX=KX250 :laugh:

All kidding aside, i ride my kx on some pretty wild stuff, i have some basic mods (pipe, reeds & suspension) bike works :thumb: How is a 02 cr250 worn out??
Rick

est142

Dec 30, 2003
i have the kdx220. the 02 cr has way better forks and overall suspension if you want high jumping fun. get in the trails and the playing field evens out. cr will be soft on low rpm torque, you will have to rev it, and now the front wheel is lofting and the rear wheel is spinning and side slipping too much. kx will be the same, maybe just a little better low end torque. in the woods, you will be in 1-3 on any bike. if the kx or cr are new, and cheaper than a new kdx...i would get the kx and work the bike for max low rpm torque. flywheel weight,sprocket change,2stage reeds and adjust the air screw for less peppy response. all three bikes are good choices, but you already know that. most ties are broken by the kdx being 3800.00 and the other bikes being 6000.00

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
The most a KDX needs to get closer to a KX or CR is some suspension mods and some jetting and a pipe and reeds. But, trying to get a KX or CR close to a KDX is a lot trickier, and a lot more expensive. It all comes down to, what do you mainly ride? Woods or MX. I see alot of guys ride MXr's in the woods...and I see alot of them push them out of the woods too (fouled plugs). And if they are not pushing them out of the woods... they take alot more breaks because it will just plain wear you out trying to manipulate a MXr through some tight stuff. I ride woods....so, I ride a KDX and have no headaches.
Just my .02

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom