Capt~Hook

May 22, 2004
I want to get my 10 yr old a new bike. He has been riding a souped up 2001 Honda XR50. He just moshes this thing and never falls off. What is a better bike for tracks ? KX 60/65, RM 60/65 or a KTM 65 ?

Signed confused.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
All those bikes are certainly capable track bikes. I don't think there is an RM60, The KX/RM65 are both KX 65's the RM just says Suzuki on it and has yellow plastic. Having never owned one but watching the local race scene here the KTM 65 appears to be the top race bike in the class for all out performance. Bottom line is all the bikes are very capable and I would be looking at the best deal/dealer combination for me.

Imathorp

Dec 29, 2003
my vote is orange! also it seams the KX and RM's need to really wind up high to get the HP out of them. where the KTM is more linear.

Eiswald

Aug 13, 2002
My son Has been on a KX65 for two years and he has no trouble beating KTM's, But these are not national level Kids just local. The KX 65's just run and run and are about $900.oo cheaper. Great bikes.

ktmdad

Feb 29, 2000
If your just looking for a play bike, go with the RM/KX65. They're less expensive and will do everything you'll need it for. If your racing, start with the KTM. Better suspension and power from the get go. Also the KTM fits the bigger kids better.
But a lot depends on the dealers in your area.

casillego

Mar 18, 2004
In Europe (Spain) KX/RM and KTMXS are the same price, 3180 € +-, so the diference it isn`t de price.

You are very lucky, your prices are cheaper than here, we are stolen every day ;D.

Anyway, for next year, I will buy a nex KX65 or RM65 for my son, japanese is very quality than KTM, and the diference in gear and suspension have an easy solution.

Pd. Sorry for my bad english.

Last edited:

rm60kid

Nov 12, 2006
Chili said:
All those bikes are certainly capable track bikes. I don't think there is an RM60, The KX/RM65 are both KX 65's the RM just says Suzuki on it and has yellow plastic. Having never owned one but watching the local race scene here the KTM 65 appears to be the top race bike in the class for all out performance. Bottom line is all the bikes are very capable and I would be looking at the best deal/dealer combination for me.
there definetely is an rm60

150rguy

I got fat bars!
Dec 21, 2006
How tall is he?? If hes ten years old he might grow out of it fairly fast. Could you possibly get him on an 85?? But then again the 85 might be to big of a jump for him.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2006
If your going to go KTM buy it brand new, used ones mean lot's of work. Most serious mini racers have 2 or 3 Ktm's (wonder why). KX's are much more reliable but are at a small disadvantage in performance. Parts are cheaper and more plentiful for the KX, oh they don't make the RM's anymore after the Kawazuki 65's.

Maybe Cobra is going to have something for the KTM's at the national level (65's) but they just keep teasing about when they are going to be released.

Steve

atrayn172

Sep 9, 2006
in most national 65 classes they are 99% ktm 65's......what does this tell you??

It tells ME that it's a rich man's sport and too many people believe the hype. It also tells me KTM has a much better Marketing division. Two years ago it wasn't that way. It's also brand loyalty. The kids racing the 65 class now ran KTM 50's or Cobra's two years ago. The savvy KTM crew knows this as well and "helps" many of these national level kids out. They aren't dumb. The more exposure they get now, the better the sales....

It's all about technique and preparation. Those top kids on the KTM's can beat pretty much anyone on a well prepared bike no matter what brand.

pyrofreak

Apr 9, 2003
The bikes are all pretty similar. The cost for the KTM may be a bit higher at initial purchase, but all the bikes are capable of track riding and racing. I would see what dealers are in your area and which one would offer you the most support. You will eventually need parts, no matter which bike you pick, and you will want to be sure that your dealer actaully CARES that you need parts, not just about the money. I'm sure your son is not a factory rider, and he is not going to tell you that he doesn't want this brand or that brand because so and so didn't win a national on it. It's all about him having fun, and that can happen on either of the bikes you listed. You can also look at what other kids his age are riding. That would be the best indication of what people are most happy with. If the dealer sucks, there won't be alot of people buying from them. Also if you break something at the track, there's a better chance of finding someone with a spare part. Don't worry about it too much. Pretty soon you'll be asking which 85 or 150r to get!! Those little ones grow like weeds! :nod:

pyrofreak

Apr 9, 2003
THIS POST IS 2 1/2 YEARS OLD!!! THE KID IS PROBABLY ON A 125 BY NOW!! I notice this has been happening quite a bit lately, so be sure to check the dates to see if your information will actaully help any.

Top Bottom