GlennP

Jun 6, 2000
My nephew just got a nice, used '00 KX100 for youth hare scrambles and trail riding. Besides the obvious, what have some of you guys done to make the bike a better woods racer? I'm starting with basic protection items and some low end Carbon Tech reeds. Any experience with flywheel weights on this little bike? Test ride shows it seems to rev too fast for slick trails, IMO. Thanks.

buffmaster

Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 11, 2001
I hate to drag mag.'s into things in here, but awhile back Dirt Bike took the KX100 and tricked it out (it may have been more towards des. riding seeing as how they had Destry Abbot involved for some reason). It was pretty slick. Had a IMS tank w/dry break and a bunch of other goodies. I'll find it tonight and post some of the stuff.

(It was pretty cool. They showed a pic of Destry almost looping it!)

joecap

Jun 25, 2002
Yeah, it's a great trail bike. I just got a used 99' KX100 and I love it for the trails. Some nice ideas for taking it on the trails are:
-Get a skid plate. Works Connection has a nice one for $50 and it will save your case from rocks, roots, or anything.
-Downsize your drive sprocket a tooth or two. You lose some speed, but boy will you see an awesome power difference. Wheelies in third gear!
-Get some handguards. Not only do they save your hands, but they also save the bike in a crash. Magnum makes a nice pair for $30.
Ride hard, and have fun!

jrg

Nov 25, 2001
my wife rides an 02 kx 100...we ride cross country..i installed a 12 ounce flywheel weight(steahly), acerbis hand guards, fmf 909 bars, changed tires to dunlop 756's...the bike rips..but still climbs like a billy goat

Top Bottom