KX125 Forks on 98 KDX 200

KnoxKDX

Jan 29, 2003
I know the info must be in here somewhere, but I can't seem to find it. I have seen pics and read stories about some that have put UD KX125 forks on there KDX. This seems like a really good mod, but I was wondering if anyone knows what all would be involved. Is it just as simple as a straight swap?

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001

A wad of cash, messing with triple clamps, matching hubs, brake calipers and steering stops and getting the rear end of the bike up to keep the steering geometry stable. But other than that its simple.... :scream:

IMHO it seems like a lot of money for what you're gonna get. Consider another brand or an MX bike?

Another expensive option is to get a KX 125 rolling chassis and bolt the KDX motor in it, thast what Fredette makes

Last edited:

KnoxKDX

Jan 29, 2003
Thanks for the info...I figured as much. I just got a 98 KDX, weigh 205#'s, and hate the stock forks (didn't really notice how soft they were till the first ride). I guess Fredette could fix that for me?

KnoxKDX

Jan 29, 2003
I guess that's what I'll do...I was reading in here about the xr400 springs and that sounds like a pretty good path to take, too. BTW, love the forum and you certainly have a lot of knowledge in here.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
www.MX-tech.com

Try their spring generator for spring size. I don't think .40 are gonna do it for you, probably .42's or .44. Maybe a stiffer rear one too.

Trigger1911

~SPONSOR~
Jul 4, 2001
Call Fredette. Tell him your weight. He will set you up like he did for me. IT IS A TOTALLY DIFFERENT BIKE!!!! ( It still hurts when you hit trees though!) It is simple to change by yourself if you have any kind of mechanical ability. Cost=about 75 bucks!

Trigger1911

~SPONSOR~
Jul 4, 2001
Hey Knox, I have a buddy with a 96 roling chassis KX125 for sale if you still want to proceed. He had it stolen and recovered without and engine.
Email me at Trigger1911@nni.com.

B

Jun 29, 2000
I did the swap on my KDX but its a 90 model and I swapped all the front end to KX500. The triple clamps went straight into my KDX frame with the notch machined in for the sterring lock.
I paid 60 UK pounds for them from a breakers and my bike handles 10 times better now. As I ride 50/50 road and offroad (green laner) its a really good hop up. I never managed to bottom them, less arm pump on long rides and they look trick too.

You pays your money, you take your chance.

B

UK

KnoxKDX

Jan 29, 2003
Hey Fred, what size OD and length am I looking for at MX-TECH? It looks they have quite a variety there.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Originally posted by KnoxKDX
Hey Fred, what size OD and length am I looking for at MX-TECH? It looks they have quite a variety there.

Call them and ask for help. Thats what I did - several times and many, many dollars later.

RTL

~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
Hey KnoxKDX,

I have spoken with Fredette and Wilkey on numerous occasions and can give you some first hand information. I also am extremely familiar with Fred T's mods, what a dream setup he had :worship: , and will be glad to spend some time going over everything you need to know about the KDX suspension mods. In addition, Sage and Gooby both have made the KX front end mod and they both have taken the time to talk to me personally on this issue, cool guys for sure. I'll even let you mount my modified KDX for a first hand comparison, no problem at all. I enjoy helping new KDX owners with hop ups, fun stuff!

Give me a call and we can dive into the wonderful world of the KDX!! :yeehaw:

Talk to ya soon.

Last edited:

Duneman

~SPONSOR~
Jun 16, 1999
90-93 kx forks will fit right on a kdx 200, I've done it, the catch? you need the kx shock, cause the forks are taller and the kx shock levels it out, you also need the kx front wheel cause the axles are bigger, the callipers bolt right on.

CMcCarthy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 22, 2002
The front fork on my 94 KDX was inverted from the factory. It's the same one the KX500 uses I think, and that's why it is a direct swap for the 89-94 KDX. It wasn't any better than the fork on my '01 KDX either. The KDX motor in a KX chassis is the ticket. You often see rolling KXs for sale on "the auction site" in the $500 range, and the motor/trans can be had for about $400 on the same site. If Fredette charged $1000 for the swap (which would be robbery, BTW) then you'd still come out for a reasonable sum of money. Just something to consider.

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
I have a 96kdx and put with little effort a 96kx250 front end. Only messing about was small bit of metal to act as a shim for the lower triple clamp, cuz u gotta use the kdx stem. The only other part was a sleeve for the top of the stem to fit in the top clamp hole. easy peasy. I know jump with great confidence. I bought the entire front end for about 300 bucks. Well worth it.

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
I would but I don't have the permission to send u a private email and have no web to post it to right away.

kdxmadman04

Mar 9, 2003
i have a 2000 kdx 200 and am wondering if i can bolt a set of 1995 kx 125 forks on the front i have the 125 triple clamps stem and forks no wheel or axle do i need that stuff at all?? plllease any help is great!

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
It will save you great pain if u do get the wheel and disc and axle to complete the front end of your bike. I used the stock kdx brake assembly because it bolted right on and the hose was the wrap to the back style vs the go under the fork tube style of the normal kx. I believe the 95 will be ok for u to use the brake assembly from the kdx. Also I believe that the kx wheels and disc size are pretty consistent through many years. U should call an aftermarket company that produces hubs and see if they are indeed consistent. Then all that is needed is to search the second hand parts world for any of those year's wheels. The kawasaki online microfische is a great tool when researching these part type questions. Maybe u can even use the 125 stem. See if the bearing inner diameter sizes are different or the same. if the same u only need to worry about the length of the stem. Extra length can be fixed by adding some washers where needed. short and you are forced to use the kdx stem.
After you get that completed you will have a new bike. the handling is totally changed for the better.

kdxmadman04

Mar 9, 2003
so i have to use the kx front wheel or what or can i use all my kdx parts cuz the only thing i have from the KX is the stem forks and triple clamps so can i use my stock kdx wheel and where can i see the kawasaki microfische

Kawadougie

~SPONSOR~
May 7, 2002
I just did this. The wheel won't work because the axle is too small. I thought about just changing bearings but the KX bearing O.D. is 37mm and the KDX is 35mm. Anyway, buy another wheel on a popular West Coast Auction site and sell yours. I came out even on mine.

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
Speedy and others, I have posted some preliminary bike photos to the below. Enjoy

http://groups.msn.com/KDXRidersCommunity/tedskdx.msnw

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
KDXmadman, I checked the microfische and your forks have the same sterring stem bearing set up as mine for the 96 kx250 forks I used. So what does this mean. U can put your kx steering stem in a drawer along with the triple clamps of the kdx, but press out your stem for the kdx cause u r going to use this. The kx stem will fit in at the bottom but not the top and that is why u can't use it. Go to a hardware or tubing store and purchase a bit of tube that slides over your stem at the top and is not so thick to not be slightly pressed in your top triple kx clamp. Then find a small thin piece of sheet metal to act as a wrapping shim for the bottom clamp and stem mating. U can see that the fit is just barely not enuf. After u have that stuff go press in the kdx stem to the lower kx clamp and then press the lower bearing back on the stem. Also press in the top tube or bang it in at home.
Now your ready to go home and put your clamps on the bike. U will need some washers to place over the adjuster nut in order to get the proper height of the clamp to stem ratio. I think the ones I used were actually shims from when I changed the stock kdx springs for stiffer ones. Each fork came with a small packet of wide opening washers. I think three of those are needed. Then place the top clamp on and the curved washer, and tighten the nut to hold your top clamp on. Put your fork tubes in and presto your done. U will need that proper wheel axle too.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…