kdxtodd

Nov 14, 2001
after a month and a half hiatus from riding i finally got my suspension back and went to the track. I rode around about 2 laps and went back to adjust the suspension. I went back to the entrance and was about to take off when the bike died. I spent over an hour witht a couple of friends helping me push start it all over the track. it would run for a couple of seconds then die, it would also backfire sometimes. Well that screwed another week. I went home and took out the carb and see it had something clogging the jets. I put my hand in the airboot and I pulled out chunks of my v-force reeds. I know this is the cause of the hard starting, but can that also cause it to backfire?

KaTooMer

~SPONSOR~
Jul 28, 1999
Not sure what the root cause of backfiring is, but that would appear to be the lesser issue here. Probably need to remove the pieces of reed that made it into the engine.

kdxtodd

Nov 14, 2001
well it did it again today. I came home from school and put it all together and rode it around. after a while I started it up and it made a pop and stopped. it would not start. Im pretty sure it blew up the reeds again. dont know what is going on, help!

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
Test your electrical components to make sure they are not becoming faulty. You can sometimes get a bike to start and then not run with some of the components on the verge of failure.

jmutiger

Oct 10, 2001
Do you have any limiting device for the reeds to rest on?

Jon

ps. Also make sure your exhaust pipe isn't clogged.. I've seen rags, or wash plugs being left in by accident.

kdxtodd

Nov 14, 2001
after pushing my bike home 2 miles from my buddies house, waiting a coulple days, she fired right up. ran perfect. I don't think it did anything to the reeds, because when it happended the first time, the bike would not start at all, ever if i left it alone for a couple of days. I have a dyna fs ignition on it, would it be faulty and the let the bike run good?

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
I don't think it would be electrical component now. Maybe wires loose or was severely flooded from trying to push/drag start it. Next time it happens, check the plug against ground and look for the spark. Remember it takes the big three to run. air, fuel, spark. Your problems lies in one of those areas. Once you have cleaned your carb and knew that the jets, air boot, air filter were clean, you won't need to worry about it since it won't quickly clog again. The fuel part is easy. One or two kicks and a little throttle, pull the plug and look for fuel on the plug. Next is electrical, don't be scared of it. I was, learn how to test with a radio shack meter. Even though you may see spark it may be too weak (or not at the right time if it is a digital ignition unit).
Any other advice from the forum?

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
Also remember that a Backfire is defined as Passage of unburned fuel mixture into the exhaust system where it is ignitedand causes an explosion.
That is why RM guy suggested your plug since it is suppose to ignite the fuel.

Top Bottom