Britt Boyette

Aug 16, 2004
I have noticed that our 04 KX250 can only be started when it's not in gear. It will not kick over with the clutch lever pulled. It also doesn't seem to matter where the clutch adjustment is set either as with more pull on the lever, it will try to fire off but just kicks back and wacks your foot. This bike only has about 2 hours of easy run time so I don't think it's a worn out clutch. Has anyone else noticed or had this problem?

Britt

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
Are you trying to start it in gear when the bike is cold?? Most
2 strokes wont be able to do that when cold. If it wont fire after the bike has been ridden and warmed up then something is going on inside the clutch area possibly or maybe something with timing? If its a new bike take it back to where you got it from and have them help you out.

pace

Nov 21, 2003
My CR will often start in gear, if the motor is warm. However, if I stall it in a moto and cannot get it started within the first couple of kicks then I invariably reach down and snick it into neutral. Some drag from the clutch assembly is normal, and if you're just a little tired it can be difficult to get an adequate kick.

One thing that used to make a big difference with my YZ (which had an aftermarket clutch) was to switch to a different fluid. I found the clutch dragged significantly less using Golden Spectro than the same weight Yamalube, for example.

My 2c.
-pace

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
When my clutch starts getting draggy, it's a sign that I've been negligent with oil changes. Fresh oil helps.

L

LukeRips

My '04 is hard to start in gear but I have to make sure to kick all the way through or it won't catch. I haven't found any adjustments that will make it better. If you find anything let me know and I'll do the same.

Britt Boyette

Aug 16, 2004
I am going to the Dealer tomorow anyway so I will pick up some Golden Spectro and see if it makes any difference. As far as the clutch itself, it feels excellent and works as advertised.

Britt

Britt Boyette

Aug 16, 2004
10-40 Golden Spectro. Next oil change, I will probally go to a 80w oil. I've read the threads about ATF Type F but I'm not ready to do that. It just doesn't give me the warm fuzzies.

Britt

Top Bottom