kshackleton

Oct 12, 2005
Hello All;

I have a 2001 KX250 that I love....except for one thing....the gears in the trans are way to close for my liking. I do no MX riding and do lots of mixed trails, trees, logging roads, hills. Not much high speed....I was wondering if anyone has swapped gears out to give a wider ratio. I have found out that the 2002 KX does have wider gears...slightly...and that is an option....but what I really woudl liek to know is if the gears from the KDX trans would fit....anybody know?

I have 12/54 sprockets and a flywheel weight.....huge improvement there....I am wondering if a different transmission gearset would help.

Thanks

Ken

KXtrailrider

Sep 12, 2004
I don't think the KDX trans fits, I think in about 94 there was shaft size change. I have put the 98 1'st gear in my 99 and a friends 01, it gives you a lower 1'st gear and works well. The motor I have in my bike right now has 98 1'st and 2'nd and 02 3'rd 4'th and 5'th, the best combo I could come up with, there is a small gap between 2'nd and 3'rd but not bad. The 02 has a lower clutch gearing so in the end it is almost like a stock 98. I have both clutch baskets and drive gears, right now I am using the lower 02 clutch gearing with 13/48, with my 98 1'st and this setup I have almost the same 1'st gear as you do now but I have a stock 02 5'th gear. I watch egay and got my parts there. I also run a 13oz flywheel, rad valve and an EG 310. I only trailride. Just the 98 1'st gear makes your 01 a much nicer trail bike. Good luck Ed

kshackleton

Oct 12, 2005
Thnaks Ed....did you have to change the shafts, or just the gears themselves? Also...can you change the clutch gearing and retain the original basket, or did you swap the basket as well?

Sorry...EG 310? I am not familiar with that.

Thanks

Ken

KXtrailrider

Sep 12, 2004
The 1'st gear is on the input shaft, so yes you change it but only the gears on the output shaft. On the clutch the gear is rivited to the basket so you have to change it all. The motor I am using now was a 02 I got of egay with the rod out so I have all the 02 and 99 parts to use. The EG 310 is a big bore done by Eric Gorr, makes it much more powerfull. Just 1'st gear is a great help, you need the input shaft and gear from a 95-98, that is all you need. Look on Kawasaki's web site, there are parts diagrams and specs you will see the parts you need. Ed

kshackleton

Oct 12, 2005
KXtrailrider said:
The 1'st gear is on the input shaft, so yes you change it but only the gears on the output shaft. On the clutch the gear is rivited to the basket so you have to change it all. The motor I am using now was a 02 I got of egay with the rod out so I have all the 02 and 99 parts to use. The EG 310 is a big bore done by Eric Gorr, makes it much more powerfull. Just 1'st gear is a great help, you need the input shaft and gear from a 95-98, that is all you need. Look on Kawasaki's web site, there are parts diagrams and specs you will see the parts you need. Ed

Excellent...thanks Ed.

Top Bottom