KX310 surges at zero throttle position

G. Gearloose

Pigment of ur imagination
Jul 24, 2000
I've seen low coolant or air trapped in the head will cause those exact symtoms. Try purging the head with the air bleed.

Bandit9

Jul 14, 2002
Well, I removed the top end and sent it to Eric for some plating and porting, so I guess that would be a good purging. I also have new crank seals to install, just incase one them is leaking. I will let ya'll know the results when I get it back together and go test it. Should be around Jan 21st. I am thinking it will be solved by replacing the crank seals. I hope so b/c there isn't anything left to try.

KXtrailrider

Sep 12, 2004
Bandit you have to take the crank and main bearings out to change the seals, it may be time to think about changing them too. I pulled my 310's top end last summer and saw heat discoloration on the rod, still felt good but I put a hot rod crank and seals and bearings in it then. It runs and feels like a new bike. Just a thought since your doing this much. When you get it together check it for air leaks, if it has no leaks I bet it will be fixed. Also maybe go back to your original jetting after it is fixed. Good luck Ed

Moteaux

Professional Mud Tester
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 30, 2001
Bandit9 said:
I hope so b/c there isn't anything left to try.
You could always try the KTM mod... pull the gas cap off your Kawi and roll the KTM under it and then put your gas cap back on. I figure that should solve your problems!! J/K!

On a serious note, are you going to do the crank seals yourself or are you having Eric do that when you send everything in?

Bandit9

Jul 14, 2002
Randy,
Paul, Reggie Berry, and I are going to do the crank seals. My bike has been at Paul's house since we removed the top end. Eric has had my cylinder since Dec 23rd. U.S. Chrome was closed for a week during the holidays so that has held things up.

KXtrailrider,
I have no idea, as this is the first time I have ever been this deep into a motor. My two friends seem to think that we will not need to remove the crank or main bearings to change the seals. I am hoping that is the case. I have all the seals, gaskets, and a piston kit sitting in a box ready for action. Looks like it will be the 21st before we get our hands dirty again. Any pointers?

KXtrailrider

Sep 12, 2004
Bandit you have split the cases and remove the crank and main bearings to change the seals on the KX. You have to put them in from the inside. Where did you get your piston kit from? This summer I would like to get me a spare one. Most of the time the main bearings stay on the crank and I like to put them back into the case before putting it back together and by the time I get them off the crank I don't feel good about reusing them. I freeze the bearings and crank overnight and warm the cases under a heat lamp to help putting it back together. You should try to put the seals in now so you see what I mean and also have done when you get your cylinder back. Good Luck Ed

phranticness

Jan 4, 2006
Sound like an air leak to me too, the seam of the case halfs can leak too, pourus case material can leak, really a pressure test warm and one cold is called for, metal expands with heat and a problem not apparent can present itself with rising temp. this sounds like a tuff one, but if you can simulate the surge in the garage(like at idle) you should be able to find the problem. good luck bud, keep us updated.......

Bandit9

Jul 14, 2002
I got the piston/rings/head gasket from Maxpower. It wasn't cheap either. $175 for piston. The head gasket didn't come with it and is seperate. Can't remember how much for the gasket.

Ummm........Not real crazy about splitting cases.....this is usually the point where I break out the check book and pay a professional to do it. I end up spending the same amount of money anyway trying to do it myself b/c I usually end up boogerin' something up and taking forever to do it.

KXtrailrider

Sep 12, 2004
Thanks, that's where I got my last one from too. Is it coated(black)? My motor in my bike right now is built on 02 cases that I got off egay. Didn't know that 02 main bearings are larger in dia. than my 99's so I thought I had a set of bearings for it but they didn't fit. 02 was the first year of the larger bearings, the crank is the same though. Splitting cases can be a pain but it is good to be able to do it your self. Maybe call Eric, see what he thinks, nice guy willing to help. Good luck Ed

Top Bottom