KDX220R

Jul 9, 2005
02 220 bought used/stock everything
Wheelies inch or two off ground
good midrange power ok top end -i know stock, the bike isn't know for its top end power
compression 145psi
jetting is stock with clip on 2nd from top, Carb. was just cleaned
synthetic oil 40:1 mix which was better than 32:1 32:1 was causing way to much white smoke
spooge cleaned out of silencer

How do I get more bottom end torque besides getting pipe and other mods?

Is a rebuild in order to get more torque/wheelies? Or does 145psi indicate that I don't need to rebuild?

What should I do?

Thanks ---you guys are the best

matt-itude

Jul 6, 2004
Some say psi has nothing to do with it its hours on a topend that matter. I don't know what THE best indicator is. I do however feel that you could be happy checking your jetting and then trying a couple different needle and air screw settings. I am happy with my vforce3 reed set and if the 220 is like the 200s you can advance the timing fore more bottom but you might loose some top.

kdx220freak

Registered
Aug 23, 2005
the usable range of psi is 95-155. So you have very good compresion. I would definatley check your jetting, i could get wheelie in 1st or 2nd only annd people say i can do them in 3rd if i jet my bike right, so thats probably whats wrong. Also check your chain and sprockets. Are they stock size>

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
Listen to these guys--get the jetting correct and then try one tooth lower on the countershaft sproket (12 tooth). Lots of threads on here, but jetting and countershaft sproket are cheap/easy and bring results. Then you will have low end and can decide what further results you are looking for. Cheers John

KDX220R

Jul 9, 2005
Sprockets are stock --just replaced them along with the chain 13 in the front

jetting is stock 42/pilot, and 145/main needle, 2nd from the top

should I go smaller with the pilot and main ?

The spark plug is black with minor wetness ---- I believe this indicates I'm running rich?

I have used instructions on setting the air screw and idle screw to determine jet sizes, but air screw turned 1/2 to 2 1/2 doesn't appear to do anything to the low end pick up.

Could it be the Clutch is not grabbing quickly enough to launch the bike?

The midrange on the throttle feels fine. It's the bottom end that sucks--on tight trails I can't pop the bike over a 2" tree limb.

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
I ride a 200 (that has a larger than the stock 220), but I suspect that your pilot is much too large. We have not spoken about elevation, but you could be high and need smaller jets that those of us at close to sea level. Put a 38 pilot in the carb adjust the air screw appropriately and you will be amazed at the difference. Your main jet may be a little large, but that will not hurt much at low speeds. Is your air filter clean? IMO your pilot is so rich that air screw has little effect--you are so rich you are out of its range of effectiveness.

oldturtle

Sep 11, 2005
How long has it been since you cleaned the power valves? If you bought bike used then probably never been touched. Dirty sticking power valves will cost all your low end. Regardless of compression, I would rec'm pulling the top end, inspecting and cleaning power valves, have cylinder and piston checked, and then either install next over piston or if piston and cylinder are still in spec install new rings. If power valves have been sticking then you more than likely have some damage to the power valve plastic gears which would have to be replaced.

Top Bottom