RoadDawg

Jul 10, 2009
Here's my problem..... I have two KDX 220's. My wife would really like to start riding with my son and I.

The problem is she is short and does not feel comfortable on a KDX 22O (HER LEGS ARE TOO SHORT) and she does not feel comfortable..

Now for fear of being beaten silly, I am guessing that her current weight is about xxx lbs. She is loosing weight as I write this, but I don't wanna get a bike that does not fit her or that she is not comfortable with. I want a 2 stroke so I can work on it. I am thinking possibly a 125 cc or so.

What would you all suggest ? I will ask her what her actual height and weight is and get back to you all to better advise me, but any suggestions would be appreciated.. :nod:

Last edited:

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
A 125cc two-stroke has a similar seat height as a KDX220, maybe even taller. If you're set on a two-stroke, the best options might be something like a KX/KTM/RM 105, which are the size of a big wheel 85cc with 16"/19" wheels (85's have 14"/17" wheels). But the 105cc/85cc power is a little snappy (on/off, not very smooth) for a beginner for trail riding. A four-stroke like a CRF150F/100F or TTR125 or KLX140/125 would probably be easier for a beginner mom as far as size and power, plus they are trail bikes and traditionally don't require as much maintenance as a two-stroke.

Last edited:

madmike90

Aug 3, 2007
i would advise against the ttr-125.

i think these bikes are cursed for women...

i had one a few years ago.

i let my mom ride it because she begged me and she flipped and broke her upper arm and tore her rotator cuff.

i let my girlfriend ride it (with me walking along side her like i would a kid learning to ride a bicycle) and she popped the clutch and flipped off the back having the bike land on her ribs, breaking one. i tried to grab the bike but caught the pipe burning a hole in my glove and thankfully missing my hand (i felt TERRIBLE)

i let my sister ride it (i guess i hadn't learned yet) and she ended up having the back time come around on her and the bike fall on her leg, ripping her jeans and searing her leg for several seconds on the pipe before i could pull it off of her.

THEYRE CURSED FOR YOU GALS!

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
madmike90 said:

i let my mom ride it because she begged me and she flipped and broke her upper arm and tore her rotator cuff.

i let my girlfriend ride it (with me walking along side her like i would a kid learning to ride a bicycle) and she popped the clutch and flipped off the back having the bike land on her ribs, breaking one. i tried to grab the bike but caught the pipe burning a hole in my glove and thankfully missing my hand (i felt TERRIBLE)

i let my sister ride it (i guess i hadn't learned yet) and she ended up having the back time come around on her and the bike fall on her leg, ripping her jeans and searing her leg for several seconds on the pipe before i could pull it off of her.

Umm, I doubt the bike is at fault. Maybe a 125 2 stroke would be better? :coocoo: The ttr125 has about 10hp, unless you do a revved out clutch drop it's not going to flip over.

The ttr/l fits my 5'4" wife well in the legs but it is a bit cramped. She has short legs so we went with the ttr over the crf150f because it's a bit lighter and she could touch the ground better. Now that she has a couple seasons on it she wants to move up to a 100/105 smoker, and I feel more confident that she can hanldle it and won't get scared away from riding.

jensea

Jun 2, 2009
I started on a CRF100F and it was just right. A 4 stroke is a little less intimidating and the 100 is nice and low to the ground. I have the same aversion to big bikes that I can't sit on and touch the ground with my feet. After 2 years on the CRF100F I moved up to a 150F and am now setting my sights on a 230. Someday I might even get the courage to rip my man's CR125.... but after 4 years of riding, that day has still not come:)

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
My advice is to not post your wife's weight on the internet! Go with the height, it is the significant factor anyway.

I recently bought a Yamaha TT-R125L for my wife and daughter to ride. They are both vertically challenged 5'2" and 5'4". The bike fits them well. Keep in mind that the TT-r125 comes in two versions, small wheel and big wheel. The TT-R125L is the big wheel version.

Electric start is an issue you should consider. Four strokes tend to idle better, have more low end torque so it is easier for a beginner to avoid stalling them and are generally easier to manage the power. A two stroke can be a lot more fun IF you can handle it, but if your wife is tired and can't kick start the bike she might not enjoy the ride.

My suggestion is to err on the too small and under powered side. You can always buy a bigger bike down the road, but if your wife has a bad experience the show may be over. Keep her comfortable and happy and let things progress.

Rod

Apr 30, 2007
I side entirely with Rod. He is a valuable resource of information and experience here.

Being of fairer gender, I would agree with the start small.

DO NOT get her a two stroke 125. They are NOT good learner bikes for the typical female.

The TTR125L (with electric start) Should be about right. Or go with a CRF150F. These will be a very good introduction to the dirtbiking world for your wife. Maintenance would basically include change the oil, adjust the chain, change the sprockets and chain as needed.

If you buy either of the above listed bikes in used condition, you have a very good chance of getting a good 90% of your money back in a resale if she wants to upgrade to a more powerful/bigger bike, or loses interest.

I don't recommend the CRF 230 unless she gets power hungry or is as strong as a horse. Thems is heavy bastiges, and although it comes standard with the easy button (electric start). She may get put off of riding after the first tip over in a corner if she can't pick the bike up on her own.

TattedChick

Oct 6, 2009
short women on bikes

hi, thankfully im 5'10 and dont have much of an issue, but my sister in law is 5ft evon, she rides anything and evrything, it took her a while to find something she comfy with, what helped was haveing her husband be supportave and not being embarssed, also when hse got her bike she had her hubby mod, it for her, he moved the pegs up and a few other things, if ur wife is strong and can ballance it out with haveing no problems picking the bike up if she dumps it 125cc would be good, theres room to play around on them, not tomention 125cc can go medum to decently fast, so she can take it at her own speed. if her legs r too short to kick start it u can always put an extention on the kick, its not easy and some times can be a pain in the ass but, i mean hey if it makes her comfy and able to ride its worth it. just make sure she can pick the bike up laying on its side, its a good rule of thumb if u can pick it up u shouldnt ride it and thats for evry one not jsut females, also if u go with a 125cc and jsut her tippy toes r tuching the ground id have her work on baling off it that way if she needs to she can. its a lil diffrent bailing off something when u r riding it and cant completly tuch the ground. also u might want to mount some secondary pegs on it for her, and let her tell u were shes comfy with her legs on it u can always switch em out and move the ones she dont need, . i hope this helps some let me know. bty my sister in law the 5ft evon chick rides a 900 twin , so that should let u know women can ride bigger things right there regarless t here hight its all about what they feel comfy on

fatcat216v2

Aug 29, 2009
madmike90 said:

This would be akin to being mauled by a cute little puppy. :think:

The ttr125 is a nice bike to learn on. Very manageable. Incidentally I am 5'8" and never felt cramped on my ttr125 on the dirt.

Last edited:
Top Bottom