carla2day

Jul 19, 2004
my son rides a Honda cr 80 and I would like to give him pointers on landing when he jumps a hill. How to avoid indo or landing on his front tire real hard? Any pointers? Thanks.

Nice Guy Eddie

Uhhh...
Jun 30, 2004
interestingly enough I was just teaching a freind of mine that same thing yesterday... one of his biggest problems was his unwillingness to stay on the throttle as he was on/just leaving the face of the jump... when he would drop out the throttle with the rear wheel on the ramp, the bike would inevitably nose dive off the jump.... he also had a strong desire to jump the thing far slower than what would have made the jump smooth (probably because he was afraid of nosediving at high speeds...lol)...

So I guess Im telling you that you should have the boy keep an eye on his engine/brakes as a big controlling factor in the jumps.... and to hit the face with smooth power on... NOT scrubbing speed because he entered too fast...

oh, and rear brake/deceleration brings nose down (bad for him right now), acceleration brings rear down (good for him right now).... tell him to try staying on the throttle a little in the air, it will help tons

thats what I can think of right now

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
I may be an old-schooler, but for up-hill landings, on the gas, body position a liitle back to get the rear wheel on the ground first... as NGE said, smooth power up the jump face.

Yes NGE, we know, lol.

Nice Guy Eddie

Uhhh...
Jun 30, 2004
Okiewan said:
Yes NGE, we know, lol.

I wasn't trying to be sneaky, or I'd have tried harder than that.. :) .. just trying to leave a few things behind and be a helpfull member of this forum that I like and is so necessary to me and many others....

your tolerance is appreciated and will not be taken for granted

carla2day

Jul 19, 2004
Hey, Eddie thanks a lot for the advice! I really appreciate your advice and I will tell my son about that. I am thinking that is what he did when he indoed. Scares me to see him do that. He wants to race and I would like him to know how to jump without hurting himself. The way you described it, sounds very logical to me. Also, when he turns the berms, he gets a little intimidated. So, if you have advice on that, too, that would be great! Thanks so much! Nice to know there are people out there who care to help others out here in cyberland. Have a great day!
carla

dp608

Jul 15, 2004
If he isn't standing up on the footpegs while jumping, he needs to be. If he is consistently landing on the front wheel, he is either leaning too far forward or not on the throttle while taking off from the jump.

carla2day

Jul 19, 2004
hello, dp thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it. I want to let him know so that he will not hurt himself out there on the track. Sounds like that is what he is doing, letting off the throttle and his position on the bike may be a factor, as well. Thanks a bunch for sharing your knowledge!
Have a great day!
carla

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
The smooth throttle up the ramp cannot be emphasized enough.
The guy I am mentoring does these two tables very close together.
He was doing them in third but not on the pipe(in the powerband) very much and he was not clearing to the backside/landing area. I told him to go down to second and do it and he did not think it could be done. So I showed him on his bike. No problem. Well he goes up just like before and since it was in second it was now in the power band and he went in the air front wheel high and looped out. Of course he says " I told you I couldn't do it in second". I had not thought about it that way.
Small jumps and no doubles if he is learning to jump. Don't intimdate him or make him pressure himself to keep up with kids that have probably been racing since they were five. It is harder than it looks.
I used to beat myself up about not taking my hand off the bar in the air until Grant Langston was about to win a 125 Supercross race and he did it but did not get his hand back on so he wiped out.

Top Bottom