Jun 24, 2008
I've been riding for about eight years now, and I've never really tried track riding.
I went straight from trail riding into the whole enduro thing, completely skipping track and jumps due to a pretty bad crash I had while back on track.

I'm now trying to get into track/jumps, cause' I would love to start racing.
Though, I'm having a hard time getting over my fear...any pointers on how to:

>Get over my fear
>Any Track pointers
>How to take a jump

Anything along those lines.

Any help would be great.
Thanks! :D

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
mandapandapantz said:
I've been riding for about eight years now, and I've never really tried track riding.
I went straight from trail riding into the whole enduro thing, completely skipping track and jumps due to a pretty bad crash I had while back on track.

Wow, sounds like me! I rode trails for a few years and for the last year I have been doing enduros. I have recently tried the MX track, but I am currently nursing some badly bruised ribs after I was used as someone's landing ramp.......

I am impressed that you can do an enduro on a TTR-125!

I would be even more impressed if you could handle the jumps on a TTR-125. I suspect that you would be better off on a MX bike that has more suspension travel.

Hopefully someone who knows what they are doing can give us both some useful advice......

Rod

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Fear is a good thing. It keeps (most of) us from doing stupid things we shouldn't.

The more you ride tracks the more familiar you will become with jumping and the more confortable you will be.

Working your way up to clearing tabletops is much easier than trying to guess the right speed, throttle, and body position to pull the trigger on a double.

While on the track don't try to get out of the way of the faster people. Just be predictable and they will get around you with no problems. When riders zig-zag across the track to try and get out of the way is when they are most in the way. Keep that in mind especially when approaching, and well after, a jump. I've had my own kid roll over a double then switch from right to left while I was already in the air on the left side expecting to pass him when I landed.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
High Lord Gomer said:
Fear is a good thing. It keeps (most of) us from doing stupid things we shouldn't.
Fear is the second leading cause of hospital trips from the track, overconfidence is first. Fear will cause you to chop the throttle on the face of a jump, and fear will cause you to make an unexpected stupid maneuver when something goes wrong. Of course, overconfidence allows you to think that you can do those things that you shouldn't. But Gomer isn't wrong, respect your machine and the track, for they can quickly become your enemies. Do not concern yourself with jumps, you will learn in time. Start small and have fun with them. You can learn a lot about aerial control with a 30 foot table. And that TTR isn't going to fly more than 35-40 feet without an uncomfortable (and maybe painful) landing.

Jun 24, 2008
rmc_olderthandirt said:
Wow, sounds like me! I rode trails for a few years and for the last year I have been doing enduros. I have recently tried the MX track, but I am currently nursing some badly bruised ribs after I was used as someone's landing ramp.......

I am impressed that you can do an enduro on a TTR-125!

I would be even more impressed if you could handle the jumps on a TTR-125. I suspect that you would be better off on a MX bike that has more suspension travel.

Hopefully someone who knows what they are doing can give us both some useful advice......

Rod

Oh damn, that sucks dude!
Hope you feel better!
My pa ran over my back two weeks ago...not a pretty sight, so I know of (somewhat) you're going through.

It's actually not too hard riding enduro on a TTR125, challenging, but it makes it all the more better.

I'm looking into a KTM, but I gotta get a job or else that dreams never going to happen haha

Jun 24, 2008
FruDaddy said:
Do not concern yourself with jumps, you will learn in time. Start small and have fun with them. You can learn a lot about aerial control with a 30 foot table. And that TTR isn't going to fly more than 35-40 feet without an uncomfortable (and maybe painful) landing.

Yeah, I'm gunna start small on the jumps, I just gotta get over that fear, don't really want to end up in the hospital again haha

When you take a jump though, should I let the bike do the work and just go with the flow?

&& Thanks Gomer, I'll keep that all in mind, I don't want to end up ran over or landed on ha

mox69

Mar 26, 2007
I agree with the comments about fear and overconfidence. So far in my short MX career, I have seen these two things cause a lot of accidents.

At this point I have been to most of the tracks that are withing ~2-3 hours from me. So I have a procedure that I personally use to get myself used to a new track. I used these techniques when I was a totally new to this sport and will probably continue to use it.

1. When I get to the track (new or old track) I always take 1-3 "slow" laps. During these laps I never really jump anything, roll through the whoops, make mental notes on what looks scary and what looks easy, check the lines, etc.

2. After I'm comfortable with the layout, I will hit any tabletops slowly. Usually in 1st gear and rolling on the gas at the last bit. The goal here is to no fly far, but be on the gas when I go off the jump. This way I get a feel for which way it is going to throw me. Forwards, backwards, waaay up high, etc.

3. Any "doubles" or potentially dangerous jumps I usually save for my second session. Ya I know call me a wuss, thats ok. If possible I go scope these jumps out on foot, and watch the rest of the A/B/Vet/85 riders hit them. I try and watch speed, guesstimate what gear, etc. I usually "de-scare" myself. Honestly they all look a lot worse when I'm on the bike then when I watching people go over it. More often then not, I see someone come up short. Thats good in a way, because I see what potentially will happen to me :). Furthermore if 90% of the 85cc guys are doing it, I'm obviously being a pansy. If only the A / B guys are clearing it, I'm not even gonna try.

4. When I get back onto the course for session 2, I tell myself which dangerous jumps I'm gonna hit. There is no "maybe" or, 2nd guessing. I mentally commit before heading out to the track. If it's over my skill level, then I just don't bother.

5. At this point I usually attempt this double or whatever. This part is hard to explain, I'm not nervous (I've done just about all the prep I can, so whatever happens...happens). More of a excited / focused adrenaline rush.I commit 110% to the jump.

6. More often than not, I overjump. I make a mental note to roll off the throttle a bit more. Then finally I kick myself in the ass because it was about 100x easier than I thought it was going to be.

Honestly you need to be comfortable on your bike and 100% comfortable flying through the air. I'm not an expert on mid-air corrections (yet), but being able to do that will go a long way as well. Realistically you just have to practice. There is such a huge difference between my confidence and skill level from my first time on a MX track (last summer) to now. I sure feel like I make noticeable progress every practice day. I still have a ways to go, and will probably never be a super A racer. But I have fun, and try to play it safe.

stumanarama

Aug 29, 2007
mox 69, You hit the nail on the head. In some way or another those are the exact things I do and think about(especially the kicking yourself over how much you built it up in your mind) Very well written indeed :cool:

Top Bottom