Cr85RaCeR607

Aug 13, 2004
A lot of times i see people land a little sideways and it whips back and forth on them and a lot of them fall. This never happened to me to the extent of me falling, but i do feel a little whip back from time to tome. Is there any technique (besides landing a little sideways) that could help this? Like staying loose/or gripping with ur legs tighter...any advice?

Wraith

Do the impossible its fun
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2000
I stayed loose, and nuetral on the bike, and not on the gas that much, while landing waayyy sideways on a tabletop this last Saturday (and I was landing front end first).
I didn't land it, I took a digger, the front wheel tucked awfully bad. So if it happens again I myself will stay tight, further back on the bike, and on the gas. But I plan on learning how to correct the bike getting sideways in the air so I don't have to worry about it to much. LOL

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
I would suggest something a little different...

I try to get the front wheel down first. That way you can have it pointed in the right direction and the rest of the bike will try to follow it. I prefer to get on the gas just before I land. The Swap-n-Flop usually happens to me when off the gas, so... front wheel first (pointed straight in the direction of flight) and on the gas.

KDXFreestyle

Damn Yankees
Nov 19, 2002
theres a trick to it. Stay loose, and be ON THE GAS! when you land a little sideways and are on the gas, the bike will instantly straighten. also make sure to land rear first with the gas on.

moore_716

Jun 1, 2005
I try and land front wheel first with the wheel pointed in the direction you want to go in. It's up to you if you're on the gas or not. I try to be because it makes you faster. As far as landing back wheel first, only when the bike is pretty straight. I always have the gas on for rear wheel landings. There's a good article in Eric G's book abou how this affects the suspension, but for rear wheel landings the throttle helps soak up some of the impact.

HajiWasAPunk

Aug 5, 2005
I'm confused, why would you want to do these "whips"? Is it because you just hit the jump in an awkard position? Or is it just for show? This thread makes me think you're using it to recover from something?

Last edited:

bpositive

Jul 11, 2005
On The Gas when your sideways cause your going to hop a bit... but when your on the gas it will strieghten you out ....other wise you'll hop one way then the other and usually on the second hop your on the ground w/ bruised ribs and bent bars ( like my dumd-ass is right now :( .... hahah

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
HajiWasAPunk said:
I'm confused, why would you want to do these "whips"? Is it because you just hit the jump in an awkard position? Or is it just for show? This thread makes me think you're using it to recover from something?
For most people, whips are just for show. They can be used to setup for a turn right after a landing.

For the really fast guys, it allows them to fly lower, get back on the ground sooner, and therefore go faster.

Unintentional whips, OTOH, are much harder to correct and are what the original question was really about. Those are usually caused by ruts on the jump face or hitting the jump at an angle.

AlaskanRider

Aug 9, 2005
I was riding the other night, and it was muddy in low spots, and the mud always threw me around going up the tabletop.It was knee deep and mushy. (Knee deep isn't to high for most peole, but I'm only 5'2 until I grow some more.)

Top Bottom