csdwarf

Apr 19, 2010
hey guys, im looking into a cr 250, i ride all trails some pretty tight stuff.

how are these things in the trails? I ride with a few 2 strokes, and they all do alright.

If you could give me a comparison to these bikes it would be great!

Bike 1------ 2006 TTR 230(baffle out, jetting changed)

Bike 2------ KTM 125 SX ( Flyhweel weight, Fatty pipe)

Bike 3------ KTM 300 EXC ( stock)

Bike 4------ KTM 250 EXC ( Pipe,reeds, muffler)

any comparison to any of these bikes from a 97 CR250 would be great!

I'm on a budget and this bike is a great deal, I just would like a new bike that will keep up better ( I ride a ttr 230)

i tried the other bikes, and i liked the 300exc the most, but the 250 exc was also fine.

the 125sx is very ride-able, but it definitely needed more low end power.

HAYSHAKER170

Nov 17, 2005
I trail ride a 97 CR250 in the woods with no problems. There may be better choices than a motocross bike but you can make them more trail worthy. I have a larger IMS tank and engine skidplate. You may want to add a crankweight if you find it wanting to stall in the low speed stuff and reduce the 2 stroke hit. You may want to gear down as well, maybe to 13/52. Some add barkbusters to protect your hands. They are good cheap fun.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
There are parts available for sure! A lot of older bikes no longer carry all the parts anymore. Any trail bike is a better choice than an mx bike, unless you are really fast. Lots of luck with ANY used bike though, be ready to drop 600~1000 dollars to freshen everything up. Vintage Bob

csdwarf

Apr 19, 2010
I don't think i will have to put any money into it until the end of this season.

the bike runs great with good compression and the sprockets look great, new tires.

the bike looks great, never raced, low hours. it has been sitting in a barn for 10 years ( barn find)

i want to change the gearing, so im prepaired to fork out a 150$ for new chain and sprockets.

i might want to put some flywheel weights on it, and ill go from there.

csdwarf

Apr 19, 2010
I havn't rode a 250 mx bike( at all) in the woods, but if its anything like my 250 exc, then it will be fine.

i have ridden a 125sx in the woods, and if its anything like the power delivery of that, only more torque then it will also be fine.

the only thing i'm worried about is that the bike doesn't have any torque under 4000 rpm and needs to be screamed and wont chug.

On my 250 exc ( i have a trail tech vapor) i can chug around in handle bar tight woods at 2000rpm with some cutch work and have no problems.

if the cr is anything like that it will be fine. Im prepaired to gear the bike down to make it do that.

HAYSHAKER170

Nov 17, 2005
You can add more torque down low by changing the gearing, change to a FMF Fatty pipe, add crank weight. But in general, most of their power is high in the revs. You may want to check the powervalve to see it is working properly. I think I have read that will cause lack of low end if not working right. Maybe someone more experienced can verify that. Good luck!

csdwarf

Apr 19, 2010
I dont own the bike, im looking into one.

will the cr250 have the low end power to be able to wheely over logs and stuff in the trails?

my dads 125sx doesnt like to wheelie unless its on the power band, but my 250 exc will wheelie pretty good anywere....

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
csdwarf said:
will the cr250 have the low end power to be able to wheely over logs and stuff in the trails?

the front tire on my 03 has never touched a log.... :ride:

csdwarf

Apr 19, 2010
alright cool , so it does have decent low end power, if it will pick the wheel up at low speeds.

will it basically pick the wheel up off idle? you slip the clutch, get going then then crack the throttle and she wheelies up?

csdwarf

Apr 19, 2010
haha, makes sense doesn't it?

because the CR 250 is really for a friend, im going to ride my exc and hopfully he will ride the CR.

he has a ttr 230 right now, but he/we are by no means beginners.

he rides the 230, and in the tight woods it does fine, but when we get any kind of trail it kind of falls on its face....plus its not as fun to ride because you can just crack the throttle and fly off.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
The only way I could improve my 250 for the woods would be to add a kickstand and get a softer seat. Other than that maybe add a tooth or two to the rear sprocket but I don't want to lose top end for open trails fire roads etc. If the bike is a good deal get it,worst case you can sell it and go another route

csdwarf

Apr 19, 2010
That brings me to the next question, what is a good deal? i know it depends on were i live, but heres my deal.

1998(not a 97) CR250...

the guy that is selling it, is really selling it for anlady(it was in her barn) she said its been there sense new and hasnt been ridden much, its been sitting there for the last 8 years.

then the guy went through everything, replaced all rubber boots, cleaned everything up and replaced all the fluids.

the bike looks in really amazing shape, and looks very modern because of the aluminum frame.

i'm going to get it for 900$? runs great needs nothing ready to ride.

do you think this bike will be better then a TTR230? because hes using about all that bike can give him, and a lot of the time wants more.

So, what i have gotten from you guys is that, even though the cr 250 might not be the best stock bike to get through the tight trails, once you get it tuned in and get used to the bike you call really haul? and there are a lot of modifications to make the bike how you want it if you have a little money to spend.

I wish i had ridden a 250 MX bike, but ive only ridden my 250 EXC..... we are not that picky, we adapt to what we have in the garage.

how different will a 250 MX bike and my EXC be?

what will the differences be? the bikes have the same bore and stroke, so they cant be that far off? i guess there is still porting PV timing ect, but still.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Compared to a TTR230 that cr250 will be brutal. Next to your 250EXC it will seem to be "peaky". With more power up top and less down low. With a few mods yes, it will make a great trail bike for a more advanced rider.

csdwarf

Apr 19, 2010
julien_d said:
Compared to a TTR230 that cr250 will be brutal. Next to your 250EXC it will seem to be "peaky". With more power up top and less down low. With a few mods yes, it will make a great trail bike for a more advanced rider.

ty julien! thats what i was looking for, a good comparison to my 250 exc/ the ttr 230

?

can it be made to be like my bike less "peaky" ? because my bike is perfect amount of low end for the riding we do if not a little to spare.

I understand that it will have less low end, but is there any way you can explain how much less? or is that a ridiculous request?

unfortunately i cant drive it were im buying it, because its in the city, but i'm ok with that. I saw him drive it and saw it ran.

its a 250 2 stroke, and my dads 125 has basically enough low end for the trails we ride, sometimes the nasty roots and logs get to it, but if the 250 has more low end, it will be fine!

thanks guys! a lot!

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
The 250 will have quite a bit more bottom. The MX bikes are just harder hitting in the midrange than a trail bike. The gearing is tighter as well and the lower gears aren't as low.

csdwarf

Apr 19, 2010
yeah,i just watched a couple vids of cr250's riding with 250 exc.... pretty close honestly.

a flywheel weight would tame the hit and gearing it down a lot would solve the other problem.

we never really hit over 50 on the trails we ride(and thats the open trails/ old roads)

so i think a little off the top for some more on the bottom is a great trade off were we ride.

oh yeah, a question ive always kinda wondered....what do you consider Low end, mid range, and top end

low-2000-4000

mid-4000-6000

high-6000-8000

?? sound about right?

thanks!

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
Don't have a tach
Low = sounds like Bwaaa
Mid = sounds like. Whaa
Top = sounds like. Braap

csdwarf

Apr 19, 2010
haha, i love it..

so, when the cr is going "bwaaa" it will stall easyer then the exc?

but when see starts going "waaa" she pulls good?

then BRAAAAPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP gone?

lol those noises are so accurate its weird

Top Bottom