fredrader

Reggie & Ellie's Grandpa
Sep 30, 2006
I got it bad (Excessive Compulsive)..I just bought another one yesterday off eba*,It is a 95 YZ125..It looks great but I don't know anything about em..I got it for $1075..I didn't even start it when I went to pick it up :coocoo: but the guy I got it from seemed like a great guy(Ex Navy)He said he had drained all the gas out of it and hadn't been ran in a year or so..He said I would need to run 105 racing gas in it and there was none to be found that late an nite on sunday..Anyway I took it home and decided to pour in a little of my 94 octain mix I use in my CR and kick it to see if it would run..It started up after about 5-6 kicks and ran great..At least it did after I removed the plug from the exhaust pipe :bang: I couldn't figure why it was so quiet and wouldnt rev up..(Plug inserted).
Anyway I figured I would post this up and give you all a giggle about the plug in the exhaust thing..Oh and did I pay too much for it?? Like I said I don't have a clue other than I like the bike so far..Here is the auction number where I bought it and the info on it on *bay..250043180793..I tried to post a link to it but it didn't work..Here is the description from the auction...

Vehicle Description
1995 YZ 125. I bought it in 2004 and rode it for 2 years. I had Factory Connections rebuild, respring, and revalve the suspension (front and rear). Top end has been recently rebuilt. Currently, there is a Phathead Racing dome (check it out at phatheadracing.com) running higher than normal compression. I have another dome that goes into the phathead that will run regular compression along with the original dome. Wiseco lite piston, FMF Fatty pipe and can, EBC HH front brake pads, high compression head gasket, renthal bars, ASV clutch lever, scott medium waffle grips, ran klotz in it all the time I owned it. The bike is very fast and can easily keep up with a modified later model 125. Suspension has been ridden on 3 or 4 times. Tires are in good shape Dunlop on rear (5 or 6 rides on it) and Maxxis on front (almost brand new). I am selling it because I got out of the Navy and moved away from the track I used to ride at all the time and the people that I used to ride with. Don't have any friends now that ride. I never got around to racing the bike, but I did like to go fast and ride hard, so I took good care of it.

Last edited:

fredrader

Reggie & Ellie's Grandpa
Sep 30, 2006
I took a few pic's but they are at home..I am on the road now but I will post them once I get back home wendsday..You can see it now though if you copy and paste this auction number in an eba search.. 250043180793 ...I copied these pics from the auction so I can post them now...He thru in the stand and a clymers manual as well as the original head...
0a_1.jpg

58_1.jpg

5a_1.jpg

Last edited:

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
fredrader said:
I am on the road now but I will post them once I get back home

Watch out ahead :yikes: The bike looks great seriously, hope you have lots of fun riding it!

fredrader

Reggie & Ellie's Grandpa
Sep 30, 2006
Thanks,I think I will like it a lot..My CR500 is kinda scary to ride so this one should be much better :cool:

fredrader

Reggie & Ellie's Grandpa
Sep 30, 2006
I just bought 5 gal of 110octane (Leaded)Racing gas $6.25 per Gal..I mixed it up 32-1 Bel Ray Si-7 Synthetic 2 stroke oil..The previous owner said he ran 105 racing gas in it and used Klotz oil..I had been running 94 octane and it was real boggy (Bwwaaahhh) at the low end and the more I cranked the throttle the worse it was..Once the R's got up though it screamed..I figured I would see if it was the gas making it do the Bwwaaahh thing..I drained the tank and filled it up with the 110 and rode it about an hour and it helped a lot but still does it at the very low end..It idles lower with the 110 in it too..Do all 125's take a little to get to the powerband rpm's?Also I really wouldn't want to lean it out any since it don't foul plugs and doesn't even smoke with this mixture..Any Idea's??I would try some of this mix in my CR500 but It is way strong enough now with the 94octane..

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
Do all 125's take a little to get to the powerband rpm's?

Going from a 500 to a 125 is a big change. Your 500 has a nice wide powerband. The 125 is the opposite. I bet it feels nice to flick around a light bike though. Just keep 'er revved up.

I'm considering a small bore too. I'm tired of kicking my 500.

fredrader

Reggie & Ellie's Grandpa
Sep 30, 2006
I took it on a trail ride today with a lot of long steep rutted hills and I couldn't make it up a couple of them because I got out of the throttle and it wouldn't get the rpm's back up..One hill I didn't have enough room to get the rev's up before starting up and it just fell on it's face..Man I was pi$$ed...It runs great at higher RPM's but it is terrible at the low end..I want to ride someone elses 125 so I can compare them..I have a 4stroke TTR125 and it will climb any of the hills I was on today with no problem and I weigh like 225lbs..This YZ is great but only at the high rpm's...

BonChance13

May 7, 2002
125's need the rev's,nature of the bike.A new 125 will do the same thing.In '03 I went from an Husky 610 to a KTM 125 and I kind of had to relearn the 125 way of things.I love 125's and you'll have a good time with yours.Just remember that you have a major learning curve with this bike,momentum is the key.Good luck and nice bike.

fredrader

Reggie & Ellie's Grandpa
Sep 30, 2006
Thanks,Yea I really do like it..I crashed it Friday popping wheelies in the back yard..It came streight up and wouldn't come back down so I had to peel off and let it go..It didn't hurt anything on the bike but it did hurt my pride a little..My grandson was rite behind me on his TTR90 and just giggled and said (Can I ride with you grandpa) :coocoo: I let him ride with me up front and he loves to ride wheelies..I don't go fast with him on it though and I keep the front wheel closer to the ground with him on it with me...I am going to get a smaller front sprocket and a little larger rear sprocket and see how that works for me..I don't want to go 60mph anyway..40 would be just fine with me as long as it takes off quick..Thanks

jvogeljr2002

Oct 30, 2006
I like my 94

I have a 94 YZ 125 and love it. Just got the parts in to put it back together after the piston went a couple of weeks ago. Cant wait to get it back going again.

tpiwb

Sep 24, 2006
I think the answer may be in you reach of your left hand.....grab some clutch and get the rev's up. You'll need to feather it on a 125, unlike the 500. I love my 500 but I ride a YZ 250 mostly now. It's is alot different than the 500 also, so I can only imagine how much different it is on a 125. My friend has an '02 YZ 125 and it does great around here but momentun and rev's are the key on that thing. I can ride it faster than he can ride my 250 ( experiance etc. ) being the only reason. I think once you get used to it, you'll love it.

2stroke4fun

Nov 10, 2006
My friend has a cr125 set up like yours, runs on race gas only, ported, stuff like that, and It runs just like you describe yours. NO bottom end, weak mid range and top end that pulls hard.

fredrader

Reggie & Ellie's Grandpa
Sep 30, 2006
I always hate slipping the clutch on anything but I did have to on a few of the hills because I wasn't able to keep the rev's up because of the ruts..It is great on semi flat ground though..

fredrader

Reggie & Ellie's Grandpa
Sep 30, 2006
Ok,I changed the front sprocket from a 13T to a 12T and it made a big difference..Now it has more bottom end since it gets the rev's up quicker..Man does it have power though once it hits the powerband :yikes: ..It brings the wheel up quick even in 4th gear..I didn't gas it much in 5th since I was going to fast for me anyway in 4th..It had a 13T-50T=3.85-1
now it has the 12T-50T=4.17-1 and the chain fit fine..
The 13T I took off had 2 teeth missing..I couldn't tell they were gone though..Just thought I would post up since it worked out so well.. :cool:

Top Bottom