lawnmower problems

RM85rider123

Oct 28, 2007
Well, my grandmother gave me a free lawnmower to earn some money with, and I have a slight problem. The first day I ran it, there was a lot of carbon build-up on the plug, in term it fouled. There was also white smoke coming out of the exhaust. Maybe there was is to much oil in the crankcase? I bought a new plug today, and it still smokes so if anyone has any opinions on this, please share.
Sorry, lawnmowers aren't my specialty.

Last edited:

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Sounds like you are getting too much fuel, so I would suspect a problem with the carb. Maybe float level too high or stuck float. Carbs on many old lawn mowers are very primitive.

The plug fouling is one sign of excess fuel, and the white smoke could be gas rather than oil. Oil usually burns blue or black.

Check the crank case oil level before and after running it for awhile - if that is not changing, you know you are not burning it.

RM85rider123

Oct 28, 2007

thanks, When I pulled the new plug, there was extremely little oil on the plug, so I think it is running a little rich. But I'll probably check out the carb. :cool:

edit- I just went and tried to start it, and it fouled the new plug just sitting for 2 hours. I think this sounds like carb work.

Last edited:

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
How long has the gas been sitting in it?

sharky243

Dec 14, 2008
Blueish white smoke is oil. Check the oil. Is it diluted with gas ? Is it over filled with oil ? Is ther oil being blown through the breather and into the carb. ? If it's an overhead valve engine, it may have a blown head gasket, and be drawing oil from the pushrod chamber. This is what I do for a living !!!!

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
So is this a 2 or 4 stroke mower?

sm7482

Jan 29, 2008
could be oil, may need a ring job if its kinda old. peopl really beat the hell out of lawn equipment. my uncles honda from like mid 80's only wanted to idle one day so i pulled the plug and the electrodes were touching! and it still sparked. i hate japanese cars but i have to admitt hondas mowers are like tanks. my uncles never had an oil change, doesnt smoke, and runs strong. i had an xr100 i know for a fact was leaking oil into the cylinder, it fouled plugs, and blew white smoke not bluish white. i believe rich would be black smoke.

_LONG LIVE DETROIT AUTO MAKERS!

RM85rider123

Oct 28, 2007
I put new gas in it, so the gas is fine. This is a 4 stroke mower. Sharkey, I think you are right about the oil. Today I will check the oil level, and if it is where it should be, I will adjust the carb because it is sucking too much gas(other possible reason for white smoke) Oh yeah, it is not a overhead valve, it is just a horizontal engine.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
On most small engines/mowers that I know of, do NOT screw dipstick IN when checking oil level... just rest the dipstick against the threads. This may change your reading by as much as 1/2 a qt.
I'm leaning toward you having old fuel/a dirty carb though.
With gas going bad/varnishing as quickly as it does these days, if our equipment is going to sit much longer than about 60 days, we drain the tank and run the motors till out of gas.

RM85rider123

Oct 28, 2007

Alright, I will do that. The gas was actually very fresh, but I might clean the carb because my grandma said it sat for a long time.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…