bwc352

Apr 12, 2002
I've owned my KDX for less than three months and have just apparently blown my third and fourth fork seals. Yikes! Before I replace them this time I will try the business card suggestion posted in another posting about fork seals to make sure that it isn't just pieces of grit that possibly can be dislodged. My particular question deals with how the leak seems to appear. As strange as it seems the forks don't seem to seep or leak oil until I put the bike up on a jack. When the forks become fully extended, they start leaking oil. The last time this happened I thought it was my imagination. However, this past weekend I entered a motocross race with some fairly substantial jumps. After the race I looked to see if the forks were leaking and was thrilled to see that they apparently were not. Then the bike was parked in my garage for three days with no signs of leakage. This morning I put the bike up on the jack (which extended the forks) and I later noticed that there were pools of fork oil that had leaked out of both forks. What the heck would cause a fork seal leak to only appear when the bike is jacked up? If it weren't for the fact that it sat there for three days without leaking before this, I would say that it was simply my imagination.

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
Just remembering how I installed the seals on my 91 kdx250. do you drive the inner bushing all the way in? Maybe that is not far enough into the fork and at full extension pushing the seal out???

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
How old is it? if the bushes are worn the seals don’t last long.

Also you may find the plating is thinner at the top of the stroke, I have seen this with my GasGas trials bike, the forks had been bushed too tight by some brainiac -but were loose enough when past the normal extension & the plating thinner.

Also make sure you bleed air out of the forks every so often.

kdxtodd

Nov 14, 2001
yeah, same thing with my 96' I'll go and ride the track for a few hours and no oil comes out. but when i leave it on the trailer overnight, i cant see oil on the lower part of the fork boot. I also just had them replaced too. I wonder if a heaver oil would solve it?

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom