mpeters0991

Oct 19, 2008
i have a 2004 honda crf450r and i noticed today that i had a little coolant leaking out of it i did research and some people said that it could be the mechanical seal or possibly the shaft. and when i went to look for mechanical seals i couldnt find anything on the parts website so i was wondering if it was the same as the water pump seal. and i also couldnt figure out how to get the shaft out if you guys could help me

thanks

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Yep, could be the water pump seal..

But.. As I found out the hard way, could be that the balancer shaft is worn out, which can cause the water leak.

So...

Do you have any excessive noise associated with the leak? A grinding noise you never heard before?

If not, you may be ok. In which case I'd just replace the seals, bearing, and water pump shaft.

You will also want to order a side cover gasket.

To get to the shaft, oil seal and bearing, you have to remove the right side engine cover.

You should have a service manual for your bike, it will detail all the steps involved in doing this job.

mpeters0991

Oct 19, 2008
alright thanks for your help.... but i dont have a service manual, it didnt come with one when i bought it.... and no it doesnt have any grinding or anything.... i just noticed the leaking the other day so i think i would be able to tell a difference in the sound it was making if there was something wrong with the balancer shaft, but i have to take the entire side cover off to get the bearing and seals and shaft out?

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Yes, to get the shaft, bearing and oil seal out, you have to remove the side cover.

The water seal is under the impeller, under the waterpump cover.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
It's a normal rubber/metal seal. not sure what you mean by "mechanical seal" but it's just like all the other seals on your engine.

Top Bottom