I have to replace my 98 CR 250 water pump seal, should I do the oil seal too?

WasArtnshel

Dec 6, 2003
Hey, I have coolant leaking out the weep hole on my 98 CR 250 so I know I have to replace the water pump seal. The manual says to do the oil seal at the same time. Should I?

I was going to order the Honda parts from Ron Ayers but don't want to since I had a bad experience with them, is there anyplace better?

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
I would definitely replace both seals. For the price of the seal, and the time it takes to do the job, it will save time and money to do them now. Also for the peace of mind.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
WasArtnshel said:
is there anyplace better?

Check with Service Honda (link on the side of this page) or Mach 1 Motorsports in Calfiornia.

If you are tearing into the bike and looking for some extra peace of mind and don't mind spending some money, a brand new crank, rod and big end bearing assembly is about $160 for a CR250. Cheap compared to most bikes. Also cheap if your old cranks fails and takes out your cases (like mine did).

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
dirt bike dave said:
Check with Service Honda (link on the side of this page) or Mach 1 Motorsports in Calfiornia.

If you are tearing into the bike and looking for some extra peace of mind and don't mind spending some money, a brand new crank, rod and big end bearing assembly is about $160 for a CR250. Cheap compared to most bikes. Also cheap if your old cranks fails and takes out your cases (like mine did).

I've never heard of anyone replacing the crank at the same time as a water pump seal.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Of course he doesn't need to replace the crank to do the water seal. Just trying to share a hard earned lesson that water seals are not the only things that wear out on an older CR250.

WasArtnshel

Dec 6, 2003
I understand the advice based on experience concept, but I'll probably pass on redoing the bottom end at this time and just do both seals. This bike has been super reliable over the 4 years or so I've owned it. I think this is the second time I've had the water pump seal go but other than that I've done the top end once and it runs like a top. Even this weekend with the coolant low I did 50+ miles of tight off road and it didn't miss a beat that I could detect. Could there be damage from overheating on low coolant that I'm not aware of?

Is there anywhere online that I can find a service manual?

WasArtnshel

Dec 6, 2003
I checked Service honda web site as advised and will get the parts from them. I assume they'll advise me on which gaskets I have to replace. The reason I asked about it being worth doing the oil seal is because I have to pull the right case to get at it. I figure I should take it apart before I order so I can see if anything unusual is worn.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
The company that prints the service manual is Helm, located in Detroit. Not sure if you can order it online, but their phone # is 888-292-5393.

If you search around at the Service Honda page, you can view parts diagrams for your bike. There is also a shaft bearing for the water pump mounted in the sidecover. That bearing could go bad, or your water pump shaft itself might be bent, so look at those carefully.

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
dirt bike dave said:
Of course he doesn't need to replace the crank to do the water seal. Just trying to share a hard earned lesson that water seals are not the only things that wear out on an older CR250.

I must have misunderstood. No harm, No foul.

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
dirt bike dave said:
or your water pump shaft itself

The seal can wear a "groove" in to the shaft and cause premature seal failure. Deffinatly good advice from DBD.

cr2504life

May 17, 2004
You might also want to check the bearing, if it wiggles it would wear the seals quickly too. For 5 or 10 bucks you cant really go wrong. I would chech the crank bearings while you have the cover off too just for "peace of mind" lol.

reelrazor

Jun 22, 2004
The seals should be lasting longer. I read something about some automotive coolants having silica in them, as an anti-corrosion/buildup prevention additive. Most japanese cars specify silica free coolant for teh seal wear factor.

Make sure the coolant you use is silica free.

cr2504life

May 17, 2004
WasArtnshel said:
What do I look for or how much play is acceptable in the crank?

Im not sure of the exact amout but i would think that if there is any play you should replace the bearings because it could cause a major failure(ie piston hitting head). Im sure you could get away with some play but..... I think in my manual it says if there is any play to replace them.

WasArtnshel

Dec 6, 2003
Well I'm on my way to pulling the water pump out but I can't get my kick starter off. I pulled the bolt but the lever seems to be tight on the shaft. I sprayed some liquid wrench on it and will search this site for pulling advice on how to pull it without the recommended pulling tool. Any suggestions?

WasArtnshel

Dec 6, 2003
I think my water pump shaft is bad, it doesn't look to good even after I scotchbrited the carbonish stuff off. Since it's $43 to replace, could I email a picture of it to someone to get a second opinion?

Top Bottom