Leaning out my bike

wumember

Feb 17, 2003
hey my bike all of the sudden is running really rich and it also feals very crasppy when riding it i recently lowered the oil per litre of gas thingy, so now i'm receiving less oil, but i put it back where it was and the bike still runs weird and lots of black oil comming from the back, any suggestions, and i cant replace any jets they have to stay how they are..

JCW

~SPONSOR~
Jan 23, 2003
Why not move the needle clip up (away from the tip of the needle) one or two spots on the throttle cable and check it after running it. If you are not at the top and have one or two clip slots left, that is an easy way to lean it without changing the jets. I would be cautious cutting back on the recommended oil ratio. If you are at the top on the clips, I'm afraid jetting would be the next alternative.

wumember

Feb 17, 2003
ok, bad thing is i have no way of getting jets, also it should be fixible since the bike wasnt doing this before, thanks for your help, also the bike all of the sudden is running weird when i'm running it feels like less vibration on the bike it feels smoother but i find this weird cause it aint getting good speeds, i thought it could be cause the oil thing but like i said i have it back where it was and it stays the same.. thanks..

maco

Apr 16, 2003
If your bike is running bad all of a sudden I'd look at the basic causes first.Check your airfilter,your carb vent hoses.These would make things rich.I don't know squat about 2 strokes so you probably know more.Could there be a problem with your reeds?

wumember

Feb 17, 2003
i guess i'll check my reeds, the carb is ok, its like all af the suden lots and lots i mean lots of really black oil is spitting out the pipe

cweingartz

Jun 6, 2000
If your crank seal on the right side started leakin, trans oil could get into the bottom end of the engine and mix with the fuel/oil to make it have way too much oil. Another thing that can happen is the internal baffel in the silencer can break and spin sideways in the silencer causing it not to flow well.

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
It would certainly be worth your while to have a look at the crank seals. Have you noticed the transmission oil level dropping lately?

Over time the crankshaft seals wear and start to leak. A leak on the flywheel side causes air to be drawn into the cylinder resulting in a lean condition. Continuing to run the bike in this condition can cause considerable cylinder/crank damage. A leak on the clutch side causes transmission oil to be drawn into the crankcase where it’s burnt. Signs this is happening include excessive smoke from the exhaust and transmission oil levels dropping.

Often times the flywheel side seal starts to go first so that's a good place to check the condition of your seals. Remove the flywheel to expose the crankshaft seal. The area around the seal should be clean and free of oil. If you see oil starting to emerge from around the seal then chances are good they need to be replaced.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…