Leaving 50 behind

Doug710G

Apr 22, 2002
My son has outgrown his pro senior so I'm looking at the '03 65's. I have a good relationship with our ktm dealer so I put a deposit down on a new KTM 65. However, I'm wondering if the japanese offerings are worth looking at, especially the Kawasaki. What are the board's opinons on KTM 65 versus KAW 65 from a reliabilty and cost replacement standpoint? BTW we race mootcross every week. Thanks.

Doug710G

Apr 22, 2002
BTW by 'cost replacement' I meant the cost of replacing worn parts. Aren't parts more expensive for KTM than for Kawasaki?

ktmdad

Feb 29, 2000
On the KTM you get USD forks, hydraulic clutch, and 2 to 3 more HP over the KX and better rear suspension. You can also get more HP out of the KTM vs. the KX once you start modifying it.

We have had very good luck with our '01 and '02 KTM 65's. The bike seems to handle better and definitely jumps better than a KX. With the new ergos introduced on the '02, the bike definitely turns a lot better.

We have not any problems with reliability with the KTM 65's since our 1st one in 1999. While we have seen many KX65's loose cranks. With a proper maintenance schedule, the KTM's are very reliable and durable.

Getting parts for the KTM have been no worse than getting parts for our RM85. It all depends on the dealer's willingness to stock parts.

However, the KX seems to fit a smaller rider a bit better. Plus the Kawaski has a good contingency program.

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
I'd probably stay with the best dealer support around my races. This seems to make the big diff for me. I know the KX/M did well at ponca so it obviously is a good bike. Around here where I live the KX dominates but the KTM dealer doesn't have the best reputation for supporting racers. Whichever dealer has the best and most comprehensive on hand stock gets my vote. That way I don't have $2000 worth of spares sitting in my trailer because the dealer doesn't stock anything.

Stacy

Sep 17, 2002
My nephew just traded in his brand new KX for a KTM, and there is just more power in the 03 KTM...His KX was ported too.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…